Fuel Pressure regulator ! Good mod ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pressure regulator ! Good mod ?

The dealership mechanic told me that stock pressure is about 36 psi, He told me that he raised it to 46 psi, The more psi the more HP ?
    [B]97 WS6 TransAm 6 speed Mods--Grey leather interior-Granatelli MAF-58mm BBK TB-Hypertech programmer-Hypertech 160 stat-BBK aluminum crank pulley-Skip shift eliminator-B&M sport shifter-Aeromotive LT1 fuel pressure regulator(46psi)-,Edelbrock Torque Arm, ,Aluminum driveshaft-high performance cross-drilled rotors and pads-Stealth switch.Infinity speakers and bazooka sub.12 CD changer.The car runs great. In near futur, headers,exhaust.

My understanding is that is not a good idea. I'd like to hear what others have to say about it. If you increase the amount of fuel pressure in the fuel rail, that will make the injectors introduce more fuel based on a constant pulse width. The PCM should see this rich condition and shorten the pulse width to maintain proper air fuel ratio. The end result - no change except for the fact the fuel pressure is messed up.

I would say that you should run whatever pressure the injectors are designed to run. If you want to add extra fuel, you need to do it via the PCM and some tuning. I would think that changing the pressure on the injectors is like changing the injectors themselves. They will now behave differently. You'll need to have the PCM reprogrammed to take advantage of the change.

My thoughts would be to run the stock injectors at the stock pressure. We'll see what others have to say, but I dont think you are gaining anything by turning up the pressure, and you may actually be hurting yourself because the PCM no longer has an accurate description of the fuel system it is managing.

I do know for a fact that changing the injectors requires reprogramming. I would think that changing the pressure on the injectors would necessitate the same reprogramming because that changes the behavior of the injectors. Injectors flow a set rate at a set pressure. Change either one and you effectively change the system.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Unless you are running speed density only or have other fuel system mods (like bigger injectors) that require some possible change in pressure, it is not of any value. By virtue of the O2 readings, the PCM will eventually change the injector pulsewidths to compensate for the pressure change as Trace said.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I currently am a student at WyoTech and have already passed engine management systems.

I fully agree with the above statements.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by lavapearl
          The dealership mechanic told me that stock pressure is about 36 psi, He told me that he raised it to 46 psi, The more psi the more HP ?
          Tell us more about the car.... what year, model, engine, any mods??????? Without that basic info, everyone is just guessing. Looks like an LT1/WS6 in the photo, so I'll assume that.

If its a 94-97 LT1, stock fuel pressure - without the vacuum compensation line connected - is 43.5psi, although the specs allow it to range from 41-47psi. With the vacuum line connected, at closed throttle the pressure will drop 6-8psi into the 30's. When you increase the pressure to 46psi (and we'll assume that was measured with the vacuum compensation line attached), you increase injector flow by about 9%. In repsonse, as Shoebox has pointed out, in closed loop the PCM, based on O2 sensor feedback, decreases the long term fuel corrections (BLM's) from 128 to 115, restoring the A/F ratio to exactly the 14.7:1 that the PCM is programmed for.

In that situation, when you go to WOT, the PCM ignores the BLM's and adds 9% extra fuel, making your WOT A/F ratio even richer than it already is, causing you to pour out black smoke and lose power. The stock "target" A/F ratio is already way too rich on the LT1 (~11.7:1), so increasing the fuel pressure really screws things up.

If you have a 93, there is some speculation that the ECM has a slightly different logic, and allows the changed fuel pressure to somehow avoid correction by the ECM, but I've never seen any firsthand evidence to support that.

If you have a 98+ model LS1, the stock fuel pressure (no vacuum compensation) is 58psi, so by setting it to 46psi, he reduced fuel flow... BLM's go up, yada yada. Hopefully you see why you need to add a "signature" to your posts, showing basic info about your car.

Short version.... adjustable fuel pressure regulators, in most instances are a waste of money. You tune in the PCM, not by screwing up the fuel pressure.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X