Bump stop mod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump stop mod?

Hey guys, i was over on LS1tech.com and read some thing about a bump stop mod. I've searched but can't seem to find out what it actually is. Can some one help me out here. Thanks, Ryan.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

I did this with my '96Z. Basically it allows you to downshift to 1st. If you take off the panel covering your shifter and shift down to 2nd you'll notice that there's a plastic bumper that keeps you from shifting down to 1st. You just cut/grind that piece off. That's it. It's a nice little mod. Every once in a while I'd downshift to 1st at about 35mph. It's a kick in the pants!! The computer should keep you from downshifting at speeds that would cause the engine to over rev.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

That's only if you have 2.73 gears. I know my stock optioned 3.23s has 1st gear available.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

What is a bump stop to you? To me it's the rubber pieces preventing the axle from bottoming on the frame. Are you talking about the stop on the shifter that prevents the cars that don't have 1st gear on the shifter to go into first gear?
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
          What is a bump stop to you? To me it's the rubber pieces preventing the axle from bottoming on the frame. Are you talking about the stop on the shifter that prevents the cars that don't have 1st gear on the shifter to go into first gear?

I didn't know what it was at all. I've just read people talk about them having it...."Do you have the bump stop mod?"....."Yes I do". But that would be about it.
          2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
            I didn't know what it was at all. I've just read people talk about them having it...."Do you have the bump stop mod?"....."Yes I do". But that would be about it.
            Can you select first gear on your shifter?
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Nope, no 1st option. But do i really need it? I won't ever shift for my self with an auto. Is there another reason i would do this?
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                Nope, no 1st option. But do i really need it? I won't ever shift for my self with an auto. Is there another reason i would do this?
                No, it's just to allow you to manually put it in 1st. I think they put that there due to noise pollution at a certain RPM/MPH with those gears.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

As Jeff stated that could also mean the bumb stop for your rear axle. You would make it smaller if you lowered the car to allow more movement in the rear.
                  ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

WoW! that bump Stop mod is exactly what i was looking for, im definatly going to try that myself, if that rubber peice is cut/grinded off im assuming you woul dneed to buy a new shift plate, with the 1st gear on it correct? and could i expect any complications by grinding that rubber peice off?
                    95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

Did that mod yestreday i now can shift into first gear its great...
                      95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

Working...
                      X