How can I remove or replace my MAS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I remove or replace my MAS?

I'm working on making a custom intake, but the MAS is so bulky that it is causing problems. Is there an aftermarket MAS someone is selling that would work, or is there a way of all together removing it? I would assume removing it would only lead to more problems since the injectors are connected to it, but hey... you never know when you have to assume.
    88 camaro 2.8L V6 (an everyday driving project car )

You can not remove the MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter) directly in front of the throttle body. You can how ever move it anywhere you want as long as the intake tubing is fully sealed behind it. Make sure if you move it that you fully solder each wire connection in the extention you will have to build for the wire harness.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

My mistake... I was thinking ( Mass Airflow Sensor ), but you understood me. The problem with relocating it is that I am doing a split intake system. If I were to relocate it anywhere but infront of the throtle body it would measure only half the air flow.

Quick jist of my plans:
      Im coming straight forward off the throtle body, spliting just behind the radiator, over and down through the used to be battery tray and ECC tray, then to the used to be turn signal mounts ( now air scoops )

I already know everyone is gonna say "WHY" and the answer is because I wanna be different. Even thought this intake is gonna cost me around $200. The whole goal in the end is 1. to be different 2. cold air intake and 3. ram air. I was hoping that there was an aftermarket MAF that would be compatible with my system and could replace the now 4" long MAF. This would just make things easier, but I can still make it work with the current MAF.

Comment

Your stock MAF is calibrated with your PCM. I would not recommend using a aftermarket MAF sensor. You also need to make sure the MAF sensor is in a position to where it can measure all of the incoming air flow. If it can only measure half, you are going to have problems.

Comment

LOL im intending on spending $200+ on this intake anyway... so if it is possible to get and aftermarket MAF sensor, I would be willing to make it work. The problem is finding one that is a lower profile. I would not mind of it were only a couple of incehes long, but 4 inches is cutting it close. And man would I love if I could find one that I just had to Screw in like all the other sensors on the car.
          But in this case I do not think the future is looking bright for an after market MAF sensor. Perhaps I will do with what I have, but if anyone knows any good information that could help me please let me know.

Thanks for your replys

Comment

Like I said, I do not recommend using an aftermarket MAF. Do a search for "Granatelli" and you will learn why.

Comment

Thank you for the research fastTA, it has proven the be very informative. So I guess I will have to just deal. Atleast now I know that the stock MAF sensor is suffient (unless Im building a dragster) but you would think in todays day and age of compact everything that someone would make a compact MAF sensor. Well thank you all for you advise.

Comment

Working...
              X