HELP I wanna be faster... newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP I wanna be faster... newbie

i just got the other day a '95 camaro V6 5 speed 3.4l id like to know what is out there for making it a bit faster car, i dont want a speed deamon just would like to have it close to 200HP

plus what chip should i get to eliminate the rev limiter and fuel cutoff, are any better then others whats the differences? hypertech? superchip?

were do i look for mods and their prices?

ps: would lowering it a bit make its rear end less loose cause it tends to loose rear traction at medium to high speeds, but i guess lowering it would affect its ride through bumps and bad street conditions.

You can start with the "standard upgrades", better air intake w/ a good filter, get a free flowing exhaust, etc. etc....

There should be quite a few good bolt-ons for the V6.
    I would check some sites like:
    www.tbyrne.com
    www.thunderracing.com
    www.stealthperf.com
    www.rksport.com
    www.jegs.com

Good luck!

Comment

yes i do already have a k&n air filter and the middle cat is gone, ill go check out the sites...

what about the chips? any advantages disadvantages between the two companies and re there any others ?

Comment

I4 V6 V8 all the same, sorta...begin with the simple stuff, make your engine breathe easier...that's the key to making power.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

There are no 'chips' for anything newer than '93. You said you have a '95 with the 3.4L, I believe Hypertech used to make a programmer for the 3.4L, but they never came out with one for the 3.8L which was available in the second half of '95 and used from then on. I would check out their website to see if there is any info that may help.

Good luck,
          Ruz

Comment

Lowering the car will make the off the line traction worse. It will make the handling better tho. If you do lower control arms and relocation brackets after the lowering job it will help the off the line traction.
            -ken-
            ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

why is it it feel there is no juice after 4.5k RPM even after i took the air filter total out and ran without it, i mean what RPM should it top off at 5 or 5.2??? and why does it take forever to get to that RPM even after taking air filter off, somthing must be wrong with timming or somthing? need fine tunning for high RPM power???

Comment

Your car should probably top out at somewhere around 5500 rpms, but you having a 5 speed, being that you are in any gear but 5 gear which is your tall overdrive gear, it should start losing power about 4000-4500 rpms and regain some of its power about 4750 rpms all the way until about 5250 rpms... The reason it feels sluggish after 4000 rpms is because you have gone pass the maximum amount of torque and the engine begins to work harder to get you up to where horsepower kicks in... That is the most basic explaination I have for you...
                Thanks
                MaraSport

Comment

what is this car suposed to time for 60mph? i did it in 11 seconds being the newbie in shifting that i am im having a problem hitting the 3rd gear properly i loose time kicking in the 3rd gear but still that would hardly shave off less than 1 second, my '95 Tbird LX did 8 flat if i remember properly but it has a much more sluggish take off but doesnt need 3rd gear to get to 60MPH

im a bit disapointed in this transmision, very short gears

so Marasport u think i should stay on 2nd gear tille i get 60MPH since im shifting at arround 4.5-5k rpm when i feel the engine is about to burst

i think 2nd gear tops off at 50MPH, i am disapointed... need help what SHOULD this car do?

Comment

Just to clear up confusion...this is the 3.4L engine he's talking about not the 3.8L. 3.4L having 160HP and 3.8 having 200HP.

I don't remember seeing times for a 3.4. The 3.8 could do 0-60 in the mid 7's from what I remember.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

if the 3.8 is mid 7s, what should the 3.4 do? mid 8s or mid 9s? im guessing mid 9s

gotta improve my shifting but its realy rough gears wastes time to shift..

Comment

had a 3.1 bird that ran the quarter in 16.9 @ 82 mph...yep, that's really slow..had civics beating me. Until I rolled out the GTA...hahaha. Anywho, willing to beat the 3.4 could snap off high 8s 0-60 and cook the 1/4 mile in under 16.5 @ 84+

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Hay you are wrong to a degree...

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                          Just to clear up confusion...this is the 3.4L engine he's talking about not the 3.8L. 3.4L having 160HP and 3.8 having 200HP.

I don't remember seeing times for a 3.4. The 3.8 could do 0-60 in the mid 7's from what I remember.
                          We have had a couple of cool days lately, so me and my friends decided to hang out and go to the drag strip... We didn't try for quarter times because we had some Imports with 1.5L engines and some domestics with the 350 small blocks... So we did 0-60 times... Well my car has a 3.42:1 rear axle gear and I got for a best time a 0-60 in 6.8 seconds and an average of about 7.4, so you are almost right...

Later... And help this person out, but I didn't think there was a lot of difference between a 3.4 and my 3.8, So go figure...

Later again...
                          Thanks
                          MaraSport

Comment

Marasport, u did the 0MPH on 2nd gear? i realized if i stick to 2nd it wouyld hit 60MPH but it sure is slugish after 4 especialy after 4.5RPM i might have intake problems need the whole kit

another question, what is the stock dear axle gear for the '95 3.4L????

is the 3.42 longer or shorter? better take off or more top end? cause i definatly wanna change that rear diff.

Comment

I think please correct me if im wrong but i think it has a 2.23 gear.

Also the higher the number the faster the accleration. I think some refer to it as a taller gear.

The gears higher numarically but is called lower.

It is used sometimes as a tire size correction if i had 44" boggers with a 2-1 transfer case it would require a 5.13 gear. That wont apply here unless you do something crazy. It would be interesting to see a mudriding camaro.

Comment

Working...
                              X