Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160* Thermostat not 50-state legal?

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=100224

Why would a thermostat not be emissions legal?

Because it alters the operating conditions under which the engine was tested and certified to be emissions compliant, and the testing that established the official "fuel economy" ratings - all mandated and controlled by Big Brother.

Reduce the operating temperature, and you reduce the thermal efficiency of the engine. That reduces fuel economy, and can reduce combustion chamber temperatures, which may result in less complete combustion and higher emissions.

Using a lower coolant temp can actually reduce HP, because of the reduced thermal efficiency. You only gain HP if that coolant temp reduction results in a cooler/denser inlet air charge, and/or allows you to add a couple degrees of ignition advance.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

$27.95??? wow, i cant believe they get away with charging those prices...
      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

So now that I've removed Hypertech power tuning (I still have the 160* powerstat) and only chose 160* fan settings and shift firmness, I'm now doing more harm than good to the engine? Reason I'm lo longer using power tuning is because of E10 fuel, and Hypertech told me the car will more than likely ping/detonate if E10 is used with their tuning.

Sorry for changing the subject, but my other mods are Moroso CAI, 1LE elbow, airfoil, Relocated IAT sensor, and a Spintech muffler. If I can no longer use the hypertech tune with E10, does anyone else have a tune compatible with the E10 fuel that works with my mods? Or is a tune even necessary for the few boltons I have? Thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure why they said E10 might cause it to ping. Everything I've read says that ethanol has a relatively high octane rating. It sounds like they're just doing a CYA. You'd think that Hypertech would look into it and give a better answer.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Probably a CYA thing, and they're too lazy to give me a straight answer. I assume not too many people use Hypertech in their f-bodies anymore, otherwise I'd have an answer by now. When I told Hypertech I'd still use 93 octane, they say the fuel is actally not truly 93 octane anymore with the ethanol, and that 10% is just the beginning, we may start seeing 25%, etc. I now followed up with a more aggressive email telling them I spent over $300 on the unit and am very disappointed I can no longer use their product because of their unwillingness to test for compatibility problems between E10 and their product.

Comment

I think my car likes this new E10 stuff

Just for the heck of it, I was brave enough to try reinstalling Hypertech tuning with E10 in the tank (93 octane). So far so good, did not hear any pinging at all under WOT. Runs just as strong all the way up to redline (if not stronger). Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X