Ok please explain something

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok please explain something

Ok, Ive read where a bunch of you guys are swapping one driveshaft for another one which is lighter...that part I understand. But why would V6 cars such as mine (3.4L) have a two piece driveshaft? Since I havent seen the two types side by side...are they different lengths or something? Will the driveshaft from the 1LE cars fit in my V6 car? If so....which design would I use...the 1st one without the vibration dampner or the 2nd one with it? Thanks in advance!
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

The stock 3.4 driveshaft is a two piece. I swapped mine out for a one piece LT-1 driveshaft from a 93-97 Z28 or Trans Am. The next upgrade from there is an aluminim 1LE driveshaft from the same 93-97. Origanally designed for the factory 1LE race cars, many steel driveshafts were swapped out by the dealer to to a factory technical service bulletin stating that many steel LT-1 shafts were out of balance and was most noticeable at higher road speeds. this was a warranty swap, some cars have them, many do not. They are a direct swap.

Comment

Also, I don't believe any of the 1LE shafts have a damper. The stock steel shafts, however, do.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

LS1 aluminums have the damper

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned