Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damage to gaskets by switching to syn. oil.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to gaskets by switching to syn. oil.

I was told by a mechanic that it's ok to switch to syn. oil for a newer car with low mileage but if your thinking doing to the same to an older car with let say 80 000 + miles you will damage the gaskets.
    [B]97 WS6 TransAm 6 speed Mods--Grey leather interior-Granatelli MAF-58mm BBK TB-Hypertech programmer-Hypertech 160 stat-BBK aluminum crank pulley-Skip shift eliminator-B&M sport shifter-Aeromotive LT1 fuel pressure regulator(46psi)-,Edelbrock Torque Arm, ,Aluminum driveshaft-high performance cross-drilled rotors and pads-Stealth switch.Infinity speakers and bazooka sub.12 CD changer.The car runs great. In near futur, headers,exhaust.

It shouldn't damage gaskets. Some people have reported leaks after changing over, and that's probably where he got that idea. The fact is those gaskets were already damaged. Synthetic oil is just doing what it does best...flowing into places that normal oil wouldn't
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Some mechanics shouldn't be... well... mechanics.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Its generally said that an older engine should be given thicker oil just to protect it, and the thicker oil wont leak outof gaskets, and thought it will create a drag on the crank it will protect very well. Synthetic oil is thin and has the possibility of seeping through little cranks and crevices that and older engine might have, overall its not a problem and the only think that would ever go wrong is seizing up for some unknown reason and that really doesnt happen if u have the correct amount of oil. Just get a new filter, drain the other oil alllllll out and put the synthetic in the new filter and then engine and you will be fine.
        [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
        Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
        11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Comment

Just agreeing with Joe and Rob. Synthetic oil has no properties that would result in damaged gaskets. 1,000 miles or 100,000 miles... Switching to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 is a smart move.

I can vouch for it. I bought my daily driver a little over a year ago. It had 115,000 on the clock. I immediately did an oil change with Mobil 1 and not a single issue. I know the previous owner, and he used regular Pennzoil for it's entire life leading up to when I bought it.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

There were some very minor problems with some of the cheaper synthetic oils years back with seal swelling and very poor detergent packs.

But with today's additive packs, there is absolutely no problem with synthetic oil and gaskets.

Comment

I've read the synthetic oil has molecules smaller than organic oils, so if the gasket is not mounted well or is damaged for any cause, the synthetic oil will leak...otherwise is the best lubricant you can add to your engine and tranny
              Dochidalgo
              97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Don't know about the molecule size but the shape is different from mineral oil. Round vs oval. I'm looking at one now.
                1995 Z28 A4
                ZEX n2o, Hooker CatBack, BadlanzHPE cutout, CAI, SFC, 3.23, 160°, HPP2, Harwood RamAir Hood, Astra Louvre
                2001 Z28 M6
                SLP Loudmouth & Lid, CAI, SFC, 3.42, Pro 5.0, Slave line drilled, 160°, BOA-F/X SS Hood,

Comment

Conventional oils gain their multi-viscosity properties from "viscosity extenders". These are vary large, heavy, long-chain molecules that expand and contract with temperature to vary the viscosity. In this respect, the converntional oil molecules are larger. But it is these long-chain molecules that are damaged by heat and mechanical shearing, breaking down and causing converntional oils to lose their viscostiy properties. Synthetics are very uniform "designer" molecules that gain their viscosity properties in other ways, and are less prone to breakdown from heat and shearing loads.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                  X