New guy here, saying hello and looking for info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here, saying hello and looking for info

Hiyas, 95 Z28 Lt1 w/ minor work done to it, looking to start doing lots more soon was hoping i can get good feedback from you guys...so far I have full exhaust cold air intake (looking to convert over to SS hood and ram air system) and eiback springs w/ KYB shocks 1" drop. I just ordered 3.73 gears and i was having a hard time finding out what gears i have in my car now, so my question is what is the best way to figure out what gears i have in the car?

thank you
    95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

If you have an auto then see if you can put the gear selector in "1". If you can then you should have 3.23's. If you can't then you should have 2.73's. Now if you have a 6 speed, i believe you should have 3.42's. Someone will chime in if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure thats right.

Edit: i have 2.73's and can't choose the "1" but there is no "1" there.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I dont have Number "1" on my gear selector its 2 D and OD only.
      95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

The best way to positively identify which factory rear end gear ratio your car has is to look at your RPO codes which are on the build sheet. This build sheet is normally found inside your glovebox or inside the center console.

GU2 = 2.73 - V8 A4 without "performance rear axle
        GU5 = 3.23 - V8 A4 with "performance rear axle
        GU6 = 3.42 - V8 with M6

If you do in fact have 2.73's, you need to make sure you order the 3.73's for a 2 series carrier which is what you already have.

Comment

awsome! i found the sheet and the code was GU2 so i do have 2.73's thats what i thought i had but i wasnt sure, ordered the gears and should have them soon =) ... thank you so much for your help...much appreciated and BTW what do u think my next upgrade should be?..so far i have full exhaust, cold air intake,saterday night special TCI 1800 stall convertor shift kit and suspension.

Comment

Which gear install kit did you go with? I changed the wheel bearings also when we did the swap.
            1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I went with the 3.73 Richmonds and i also got the bearing kit, figured I might as well replace that as well..

Comment

If you're going from 2.73's to 3.73's, you'll have to swap the diff. as well. You can't put 3.73's on a 2-series carrier.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                  If you're going from 2.73's to 3.73's, you'll have to swap the diff. as well. You can't put 3.73's on a 2-series carrier.
                  They make 3.73's for a 2 series carrier.....sucka.

Comment

We're sure you meant to say:

"They make 3.73's for a 2 series carrier.....sucka. "

Whitesmoke:

I answered your MadZ28 post first, and had no way of knowing you have a 95. Add a "signature" so that info about your car is in every post.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

Whitesmoke:

I answered your MadZ28 post first, and had no way of knowing you have a 95. Add a "signature" so that info about your car is in every post.
                      Yes, that's what I meant. They make 3.73's for a 2 series carrier.

I sometimes have that brain to finger communications break down.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        Yes, that's what I meant. They make 3.73's for a 2 series carrier.

I sometimes have that brain to finger communications break down.

Dee dee dee

Honestly, I've never seen 3.73's for a 2-series carrier. Heck, the highest I've seen is 3.08's for a 2-series...sucka lol
                        Steve

Comment

Dang... ya gotta teach these youngun's everything.....

You can buy 3.73's and 4.11's for a 2-series carrier. Look under "Strange" in the Thunder Racing catalog:

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=67
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Whitesmoke:

Hey, smoke. Injuneer is right, you really should make a sig. But the User Cp(where one would normally go to do it) is still down. So try using the "quick links" tab. Then select edit signature....once you select save signature, a rejection screen will come up, but it has already saved.
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Dang... ya gotta teach these youngun's everything.....

You can buy 3.73's and 4.11's for a 2-series carrier. Look under "Strange" in the Thunder Racing catalog:

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=67
                              *bows to Fred's knowledge*

Now if only I felt young when I wake up lol
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X