Getting gears installed..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting gears installed..

well i had just called the shop which has a very good reputation for working on camaros and vetes to have my gears installed only for them to tell me they dont work on LT1's??? thats total bs, name of the shop is the vette doctor in amityvile NY. well now im boggled i dont have anyone that i can really trust or have enough confidence in to install my gears, he told me to look up NRC anyone have any kind of info on NRC or if you guys know anyone in NYC area that does good work? apreciate the help.
    95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Does he not to f-body's in general? Becuase a gear install has nothing to do with the engine
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

yeah he does do F-Bodys that im sure of i've seen his shop and he had all sorts of camaros and vettes in there you can look up his website its http://www.thevettedoctors.com/htdocs/c5-rx.shtml , my brother has taken his 96 z28 there few months ago for a new suspension, no wmaybe he doesnt like me=( or what i dunno but he said no i we dont do gears and no we dont work on LT1's at all i found that to be very odd being they work on 9 - 12 sec camaros and vettes =/ I told him im surprised you guys dont work on LT1's ??? he said We just dont and that was that =(
      95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

thats odd... because a 96 z28 is a Lt1. but i'd just look around your area and start talking to them personally, make sure they can answer your simple questions and if they look like a good shop, talk like they know what there doing and mabey even have projects in there that you could see the level of skill then have em do it for ya.
        1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

That's unfortunate. A 10 bolt ring and pinion install is a 10 bolt ring and pinion install. It has nothing to do with the motor that is in the front of the car.

These shops that turn away LT1 owners sound like pretentious mechanics who are only worried about their LSx reputation.

It's nothing but a loss of business for them.

Keep looking, you will find a reputable shop that can do the install for you.

Comment

I agree totaly fast Ta there only worried about there high priced jobs and customers, I'm sure they just dont wanan deal with the little guys ya know =/

But thankfully I got in touch witha good friend of mine and he knows of a shop in my area that does perfomance work, and supposedly hes pretty good, i went to his shope this morning there and behold a BIG FAT! camaro right up there on his lift =D and he was replacing tranny, driveshaft and gears wooot! i got to see his work and he quoted me a price for $275.00 and ima have it done thursday morning...<---excited =P

Comment

Glad to hear. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Hmmm one last question before i give my car in for the gear installation, I;ve been getting mixed suggestions about installing a girdle, I know it wouldnt hurt to put one in, but do you guys think its nessecary with the minimal HP I am pushing?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteSmoke
                  Hmmm one last question before i give my car in for the gear installation, I;ve been getting mixed suggestions about installing a girdle, I know it wouldnt hurt to put one in, but do you guys think its nessecary with the minimal HP I am pushing?
                  I've always been a fan of the rear girdles. Deflection in the rear end is key in grenading it.

The girdle really helps to prevent that. I drove my car pretty hard for about 6 months on the street putting 488 to the tire. My stock 3.23 10 bolt held up OK.

Comment

thx for the responce Fast ...btw this board is super addictive i cant stop reading lol

Comment

Working...
                    X