Header/ exaust instalation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header/ exaust instalation

First off, if i am ever annoying someone please let me know before it gets the the point that you would all like to c me killed. Having said that i would like to know the compexity of installing the headers and an exaust. I know how to do the process itself, but with room and wires and stuff, it seems really tricky and i was wondering how hars it actually is to do, and weather i should take it to a shop, allthough i really dont wanto have to do that. And another thing is, getting your engine bay cleaned if anyone miiight know a place in Nj to get that done, because i dont wanna rip out wires and stuff by accident and its in desperate need of a cleanin'.
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

To answer the first part of the question, as long as you don't post several one line postings a day, all about topics which could easily be found using the search function, you won't be annoying.

The second part, I can't help you with the headers as I haven't installed them in my car yet. The exhaust, however, is a cake job as long as you get a compatible system. Took me just over an hour to crawl under my car on jack stands, and cut the old one off, then install the new cat-back.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

In some cases, welding will be involved. As in mine, I had my cat-back welded to the y-pipe long before I did my headers. I cut the stock one off, put on my Magnaflow and drove it to get it welded. 65 bucks for the labor and that was that. Took like 45 minutes, plus a 10 minute drive to the shop.

Headers are a different animal. It took me 2 days! It's best to get the car as high up as possible. It makes manuvering your headers a lot easier. More light to work with too. It's doable in your garage, but keep in mind you'll be pissed and your arms are gonna be sore. I had to cut my i-pipe from my y-pipe so I could drop the old manifolds out. Had to do a lot of trial and error manuvering of the headers to get them in. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but they only went in one way. Becareful not to break bolts when you remove the old manifolds. It wasn't hard, just tedious...much like anything else with our cars. After the install, I drove her with open headers, dumping from the y-pipe to the shop and got it welded with my exsisting cat-back.

Be sure go ahead and replace your O2 sensors while you're down there...plugs too. It's much easier with everything off. You can do it!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Ill have to get my uncles lift, andmy dad and my uncle will help me with is so i think i can get it i was just wondering what was involved, it sounds like a chore. If i had a hard time with an old chevelle im sure it will be impossible to do it with a few extra inches from jacks under the car through all those wires and bars. So off to the uncles lift is is..
        [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

If you have a lift that half the battle but removing and installing headers on our cars i'de think is one of the most PITA things to do in our cars i watch ed the guys in the shop that installed mine, and i felt bad for them lol..but like i said if u have a lift and some help i would definatly try it. you can dooo it =)
          95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

I found a set of headers for my 93 V6 Firebird...but the one note listed for them is for firebirds w/o A.I.R. What is A.I.R.? I cant ever remember hearing what the abbrevation stands for. The painted set of headers I found was 350...the coated set was close to 600!!! Guess which set I'll be getting...that is if I can even use them.
            LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

AIR - Air Injection Recirculation (part of emissions system.)

http://www.ls1tech.com/acronyms.html
              95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

I have a fairly detailed writeup on installing JBA headers on my Formula. I did it in my garage, with the car on jackstands. Read through the procedure and see if its something you feel comfortable with:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/JBAHeadr.htm

If you are looking for a shop in NJ, where are you located? Mufflex in Trenton is a great exhaust shop, well known for their 4th Gen FBody products and installs. They have done all of my custom exhaust work.

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Bridgewater Nj, right off rt 22. which is exit 14 on 287 if it helps.

Comment

I read Fred's writeup 3 times before I even bought my headers. I suggest you do the same. If you're mechanically inclined, you won't have a problem installing them yourself. I shop will charge you a ton.
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I called a shop in my area just to see what they would charge and they said theres no way theyd do headers on a f-body because it was too time consuming and frustrating

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

If you don't break any bolts and your headers arrive in an unwarped condition, it isn't too bad. It can be time consuming if you make sure to do everything perfect. If you're mechanically inclined, have a tutorial and a shop manual, I'd do do it. Don't take it to a shop, they'll just butcher it...as most shops seem to do now-a-days.
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                        X