water pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump

OK so I think my water pump finally died. It was making a squeaking sound in the mornings the temp would surge up to about 3/4 for a few then back down to 1/4 of the way up. water level light was on even when full. Am I wrong in assuming that this is the pump?? How bad of a do it yourself fix is this?
    Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Check the weep hole and see if it's leaking. If it is, replace the pump before it desides to take your opti with it. A leaking pump means it failing or failed. Sqweaking doesn't necessarily mean it's dead. I don't know how tough it is to replace a WP on a LT1, but I know the guys will chime in.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

If the coolant is full and the low coolant light is on you will need to replace the low coolant sensor. It is common to fail on our cars.

If the water pump is not leaking it is ok, so you will need to get under the car and look at it.

The squeeking could be caused by a worn belt or bad bearing in an accessory like the alternator, A/C or even the idler pulley.

Are you losing coolant? Is it leaking on the ground?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

When my first LT1 waterpump went out it didn't leak a drop. The weep hole does not always leak when a water pump fails.

The bearings were also making a squealing noise on mine....a sure sign of bearing failure. An intermittent surge in water temp is also a fairly good indicator of WP failure.

The Low Coolant level light is likely not related to a bad WP. The Low Coolant sensor is a common thing to fail on these cars.

Replacing the WP is fairly straightforward. Just take your time.

Comment

last year when my waterpump failed, it was because of leakage from the weep hole. that was the only indication i had. replacing the waterpump is like said before, straightforward. ik took extra care to cover my opti during replacement op the WP, i didn't want to lose my opti too. the leakage from the weep hole did leak on the opti, but to my luck, no opti damage.

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

Comment

Thanks for the info, i did look under it and it does appear to have some sort of a leak from around the shaft. I picked up a new pump and will be installing it tomorrow--should be a blast
            Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

Working...
            X