hope to drain fluids over the weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hope to drain fluids over the weekend

I usually take my GTA to get work done...but this time around I want to work on my TA personally...

Need to do some preventive maintenance on the TA. Want to change the fluids in the differential and the transmission. How do I drain and refill it? What kinds of fluids I use...blah blah blah. I can always take it to my shop to get it done...

I got a basic idea...just need reinforcment.

Thanks Guys!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

The differential require that you remove the entire cover plate. No drain plug. Just plops out the bottom of the cover as you pry it away from the housing. The drained fluid will stink! Be prepared with a large drain pan under it. Take the cover completey off and clean out the sludge - can't remember if there is a small magnet on the stock cover. You can use a new gasket, or you can use RTV to reinstall the cover.

It is sort of hard to reach the fill hole on the passenger side of the differential housing. At least its difficult to get a container of fluid in the correct position to pour it. You can dump the fluid into a squeeze bottle, or use a small pump to put it into the hole. Use exactly the fluid called for in the manual, and be sure to include the genuine GM Limited Slip additive.

Never drained an automatic tranny.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I drained my automatic tranny a year or so ago........Replace Filter and make sure to get a new gasket at the GM Dealer, I noticed the gasket I got at Autozone wasn't near as good for some reason. No drain plug on the stock pan, just start by droppin the pan and makin a mess. I had oil all over me, but I'm probably not as careful as most of you guys here. Or there was a secret I didnt know. Replace Filter and clean out the pan real good, and the magnet in it. Put a little oil around the gasket, if i remember right, just like an oil filter, and there is a special torque setting for the bolts when you put the pan back on, but I can't remember what it is. It should say in the manual?

Comment

I would recommend having a shop with a ATF changing machine do the trans. The torque converter, and passages in the tranny hold alot of fluid that you cannot change just by dropping the pan. The machine they use actually hooks into your cooler lines and intersepts the dirty fluid, pumping clean fluid back in until finally it is all new.

I dont think you could effectively do this yourself. While they are at it, have them put a new filter in it too.

Ambition to do your own work is good, but without the equipment you cant replicate this service.

Comment

If you are going to drain the tranny fluid, you might want to get a big pan to catch the fluid, because it will spash everywhere. I got a washing machine drip pan from Home Depot, it is only like $20. Oh, and plastic drop cloths help too! I am going to install my billet super servo's this weekend, and I am going to lose some tranny fluid, so I am getting prepared also. Dropping the trans pan is a cinch, just leave 1 bolt towards the passenger side rear for last. When you remove the atf filter, make sure the seal comes out with it though.... you may or may not have the seal, some do and some don't.

The big pan
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

I agree with "tabahr".

Best to let a shop with the right equipment pump all the old fluid out of your transmission, replae the filter/gasket and refill with the proper fluid. Just my opinion, though as I have a manual (which has had its transmission fluid replaced with synthetic, BUT my opinion is informed by a neighbor with a very, very cherry 1975 Porsche 911 who had the transmission fluid changed in this way).
            R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Re: I agree with "tabahr".

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
              Best to let a shop with the right equipment pump all the old fluid out of your transmission, replae the filter/gasket and refill with the proper fluid. Just my opinion, though as I have a manual (which has had its transmission fluid replaced with synthetic, BUT my opinion is informed by a neighbor with a very, very cherry 1975 Porsche 911 who had the transmission fluid changed in this way).
              I agree. Let a shop do the tranny. Do the others yourself.

BowlingSS

Comment

FYI I was talking to a friend who was a mechanic and is now a service writer about a transmission flush. He said they disconnect the coolant line from the radiator as stated above and hook it up to the machine to pump the fluid through. He said they do a great job in flushing the system. However, they do not take the pan off or change the filter. If you take it in, ask about this.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

At my father's tranny shop there are several options for fluid change ranging from just flushing, just dropping the pan, or both. Obviously the price depends on what you do. There is a time and place for each service but no doubt, doing both is best. There is nothing wrong with just dropping the pan if you do it regularly. If you wait 50K miles, then your gonna want to do a flush and drop. If your dropping your pan yourself every 15-20K, your good to go.

Transmission flushing is a relatively new thing and it has only been in the last 5-7 yrs that it has been common place. Yes, it is the best when combined with a filter change, but there is still alot to be said for the old pan drop.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by Jason97T/A
                    I , I noticed the gasket I got at Autozone wasn't near as good for some reason.
                    ......By the way, dont buy a cork gasket, they suck. Guaranteed leak. Buy duraprene from a tranny shop or at worst .... rubber from shlep boys or parts africa.

Another trick, hammer the bolt holes on your pan down flat again with a ball peen against a metal work bench. The pressure of the pan bolts over time warps each hole, dishing them in. Take a look next time you do a service, most of the bolt hole are dished in the direction of the bolt pressure. Wack em back down with a hammer...one shot each, this takes care of a lot of leaks.
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I was going to change the Trans fluid and filter today, but read in my Chilton manual about needing to put some Transjel on the filter seal.

Does anyone know anything about this Transjel, or a substitute for it so I don't have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest GM parts store?

Thanks
                      1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
                      Black, stock

Comment

Originally posted by tabahr
                        I would recommend having a shop with a ATF changing machine do the trans. The torque converter, and passages in the tranny hold alot of fluid that you cannot change just by dropping the pan. The machine they use actually hooks into your cooler lines and intersepts the dirty fluid, pumping clean fluid back in until finally it is all new.

I dont think you could effectively do this yourself. While they are at it, have them put a new filter in it too.

Ambition to do your own work is good, but without the equipment you cant replicate this service.
                        Who is "tabahr"?
                        That was my old screen name before I changed to TraceZ, and that still is my screen name on CZ28. And why does it say that person is a guest? I'm confused. Please stop using one of my aliases.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                          Who is "tabahr"?
                          That was my old screen name before I changed to TraceZ, and that still is my screen name on CZ28. And why does it say that person is a guest? I'm confused. Please stop using one of my aliases.

Umm...Tracy, you're joking right?
                          If not, take a look at the posting date. That'll explain it all. If you are joking, sorry
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                            Who is "tabahr"?

tabahr's post is from 2003. Maybe you said that three years ago?

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

I'm so pretty.
                              Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:
                              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                              X