Does this Oil leak make sense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this Oil leak make sense?

Purchased a '92 Z28 not to long ago and drove it home (900 miles) without a single problem with regard to any oil leaks or use for that matter. Car and motor are completely original with 70k miles. As I do with all cars I purchase I changed the "still clean" Oil over to Mobil 1 5W30 and put on a K&N filter. Haven't even driven the car since driving it home and now the rear main seal is leaking just from sitting in the driveway. Intake/Valve Covers & Oil Cooler lines are all bone dry, what gives? I started it once since changing the oil, but now I have a few drops coming from the back of the oil pan or right in front of the tranny cover on the driveway. Maybe I should not have changed over to synthetic. I can't believe it's leaking oil. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric 97LT4SS

Well, it's 14 years old for one thing. You put synthetic in it, which if there is a way out, synthetic will find it. So what is your question, anyway?

Comment

That question has poped up before a few times. See the link below.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16966

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Thanks for the Link. Always thought the one piece rear main seals were pretty solid, guess I shouldn't have jumped to Synthetic Oil so quickly.

Eric 1997 Camaro LT4 SS #093

Comment

put 10-30 in there, 5-30 is thinner
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
          X