only 1 o2 sensor extension!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only 1 o2 sensor extension!!!!!

well i ordered o2 extensions from thunderracing and i guess i only ordered one of them, so once i get my headers in tommorow, will i be able to drive the car with only one of the sensors in???????????????????
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

I believe you can, but you'll have some noise at the hole, and you will always be in open loop. You'll probably get the SES light too, unless I'm mistaken.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

okay thanks, but it won't run bad though??? and what does in loop mean??
      1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

He can just screw in the o2 sensor and leave it disconnected for the meantime. That bank will be in open loop obviously and it will cause the BLM's to be split. But it will run.

If it were me, I would wait to run the car until you get the other extension.

Comment

It's bad for the sensor to leave it disconnected from the wiring because of the heater being unpowered. It can get fouled up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            It's bad for the sensor to leave it disconnected from the wiring because of the heater being unpowered. It can get fouled up that way.
            Why would it hurt the 02 sensor? The sensor has the hot exhaust gas going over it no matter what? The only reason for the inner portion of the o2 sensor being heated is to make it more efficient at reporting "useable" voltage levels. It should be fine unplugged.

Comment

OK, but both my wideband kits recommend you not do that. So you can infer what you want to when it comes to 4 wire narrowband sensors. The heater is always powered up for a reason. They might be OK for a while, but who knows, especially when youre making mods to the car, and then running it in an untuned open loop.

Comment

But many cars, including the 93 LT1 use single-wire unheated O2 sensors. I have not heard that leaving the heater unconnected would cause fouling. The heater is there to bring it up to operating temperature and hold it there so it puts out the correct signal voltage.

Wide-bands may be different.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Everybody's an expert, I guess.

I should add, that it's a 20 minute job to extend the factory wiring with some wire, solder, & heat shrink, and you get to eliminate a bunch of connections in the process, so that's always an option for you to consider.

Comment

Working...
                  X