02 Sensor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 Sensor?

I'm getting new O2 sensor put in my car, so i can pass emmissions for a sticker. The mechanic said though that i will need to drive the car a week before i go to get a sticker so it can calibrate itself i think he said. Does that sound right?
    1995 Camaro Z28 auto

I don't think they are that smart. They just switch the mixture rich to lean & back so the cat works and when they get old, they switch more slowly and become inefficient. Never heard of one calibrating itself, although it's possible the PCM needs to make changes in it's memory due to the old sensor throwing things off. It's my guess that's what the mechanic was talking about.

Comment

But do you really think it'll take a week? I though just one good drive on the highway would do it1
      1995 Camaro Z28 auto

Comment

You might try maybe 50 miles of varied condition driving to let the PCM adjust (assuming it is even out of adjustment), and that's just a guess. Chances are, if it's healthy, it will pass.

Comment

I agree with Kev that the mechanic is probably referring to the PCM "re-learning" the new output from the new o2 sensors.

It CAN take some time for the PCM to make "final" adjustments, but unless your crosscounts on your old o2 sensors were way slow or were reporting false voltage levels, it shouldn't take the PCM more than 50-60 miles to "re-learn."

Comment

Working...
          X