New F-Body owner, PC questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New F-Body owner, PC questions

I just bought a 1985 Berlinetta 305 T-tops Been sitting in barn for 12 years. Good battery, small dose of fresh gas in carb, and she fired right up(with a little black smoke from the pipes but not at all bad) runs and idles good. I would like to put the Z body kit and a nice amount of horse power from a 350 (better than the 155hp 305) so i have tons of questions over the next few months or years depending how fast the wife lets me spend the money. Does that have a PC controlled tranny? If YES and I swap out the PC controlled carb and put a HEI distributor will my tranny still shift correct? And the digital speedo? I'm taking the interior apart now and then on to the body and when it's all done on to the drivetrain.

I highly dobt that your tranny is computer contrlled. The new 4L60E was introduced in about 1995 or '94. My Firebird is a '95 and it has it.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

In 1985 transmissions in GM cars were not PCM controlled. You will see it had what is called a TV cable. TV stands for Throttle Valve. It is a cable that goes from your throttle valve (carb) to the tranny. This way the tranny knows how much pressure to apply to the shiFt, based on throttle position.

I'm not sure if there were any vacuum modulated transmission in 1985 cars or not. If so, instead ot a TV cable there wil be a vacuum hose and the tranny will look at the available vacuum to determine engine load and shift firmness.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        to apply to the "shit,"
        That kind of language is not allowed on this board!!!

haha... I'm sure you ment "shift"

sounded good though!

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH95Formula
          That kind of language is not allowed on this board!!!

haha... I'm sure you ment "shift"

sounded good though!
          Ha ha ha. OOPS.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Whoopsie doopsie.

Correction made! You are right, it was supposed to say "shiFt" with an F in it!
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks, I know how the older tranny works but a guy told me he thought those was computer controlled. So if i change carb and distributor can i do away with the computer alltogether? Or does that have any control on my digital dash?

Comment

Originally posted by metalic
                Thanks, I know how the older tranny works but a guy told me he thought those was computer controlled. So if i change carb and distributor can i do away with the computer alltogether? Or does that have any control on my digital dash?
                That is correct. The digital dash works independantly of the computer. Just make sure you have the tach, oil and temp wires hooked up so it can get the signals it needs.

Yank the carb and distributor, replace them with non computerized ones and you are set to go. The only wires you'll need on the motor are the sensor wires I mentioned above for the gauges, a +ign wire on the coil and a charge lead from the alternator. If you use the stock alt, it may also require a +ign activation lead, and if you run an electric choke that will also require +ign.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

Thank you, I know i will have more questions this is alot different than the trucks i've done in the past. But i can tell you the interior is now sitting all over my garage floor time to start the body work and modifications. Then on to the drivetrain.

Comment

Working...
                  X