transmission takes long time to shift on 99 TA automatic...please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission takes long time to shift on 99 TA automatic...please help

I have a 99 Trans Am. I am having problems with my automatic transmission. About once every 4 days, my transmission takes longer to shift. It usually shifts correctly just below 2 rpms. When it acts up, it shifts anywhere from 2 - 4 rpms. Also, while it is in this stage, when I am trying to park, i shift from neutral to drive, and it makes a big thug sound like it can barely shift to drive. Like I said, it does this about once every 4 days and it only lasts to wherever I'm going (work, or home for the night) Next time I start driving, it works perfectly. I don't abuse my car and i don't race my car. I even put the parking brake up every time i park. My car has about 80K miles on it. It has pleny of transmission fluid in it...I have checked that twice while car is on. Anyone have any feedback on my problem?

Not to frighten you, I might be wrong (hopfuly i am) but my z28 had a similar problem at around the same mileage and i had to rebuild =/ i forget exactly what the problem was. I just said lots of cus words and handed it into my tranny guy =(
    95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

Lets start with a cheap fix ideas. Flush your tranmission fluid, fill with new (synthetic) and change the filter.

If that doesn't work, it could possibly be your shift senoloid. Does it shift violently sometimes? Does the irractic shifting occur after sitting in traffic or city driving?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

A transmission guy told me, that when your tranny is going the last thing you wanna do is flush the system. All burnt dirt and grime at the bottom of the pan is pushed through the entire system and can actually cause more harm than good! Getting it over hauled will probaly cost you any where in between 1,000 and 2000. The place i got mine charge me only 1,200. However when i was shopping for a good price, i found alot said 1,600 - 2,000.
        1995 Camaro Z28 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 95BadMotorScooter
          A transmission guy told me, that when your tranny is going the last thing you wanna do is flush the system. All burnt dirt and grime at the bottom of the pan is pushed through the entire system and can actually cause more harm than good! Getting it over hauled will probaly cost you any where in between 1,000 and 2000. The place i got mine charge me only 1,200. However when i was shopping for a good price, i found alot said 1,600 - 2,000.
          That's why I drop my pan before I flush.

Drop the pan, and clean it out.
          Replace the filter
          Refill tranny with new fluid
          Disconnect the "from tranny line from the radiator"
          Start engine
          Remaining old fluid from the rest of the tranny spits out
          Fill fluid through tube while old fluid comes out
          Stop when fluid is clean
          Check level and enjoy.

200K miles and not one problem from mine. I flush every 50K

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys! I was also thinking I would just have to change filter out and replace new trans. fluid. I hope that is the problem. I am still hoping someone replies that had the same problem and knows exactly what it is. I am going to try replacing filter and fluid in a couple of days probably. Thanks for your replies and please keep replying if you have some solutions. Thanks guys!

Comment

My dad's friend has been working on transmissions for 30 years, and he recommends Trans-X automatic transmission fluid additive. He says it keeps the solenoids clean and conditions the seals.

The last time that I replaced the filter and fluid in my truck, I put that additive in it. I didn't notice a difference, but he says it work wonders on dirty transmissions.

Some people are not comfortable with any additives, I usually don't like them either. If you don't want to use that stuff, you will probably be fine without it.

Good luck, I hope it just needs a little routine maintenance. Also, plan on getting dirty.
              95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Originally posted by AJ52486
                Good luck, I hope it just needs a little routine maintenance. Also, plan on getting dirty.
                It's the most dirtiest job you can do...don't do it in the garage if you don't want it to get messy. If you need a write up PM me and I'll put one together for you step by step.

I use Lucas additive...

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

It cost me $950.00 for a complete overhaul when I had my A4 and $1,750.00 for my M6.
                  Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

LimTeng99TA,
                    My shifting does not shift violently sometimes...only when it is in the stage of acting up. And it does not occur while sitting in traffic for long time.

I do want to add that lately it has been "acting up" towards the end of my day. Usually occurs at night when I am on the way home. Please keep your replies coming because I hope someone out there knows exactly what the prob is. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by transamrocker
                      I do want to add that lately it has been "acting up" towards the end of my day. Usually occurs at night when I am on the way home. Please keep your replies coming because I hope someone out there knows exactly what the prob is. Thanks guys!
                      Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way for anyone to really know exactly what is wrong with your A4 without taking it apart. As posted above, the best thing you can do is start cheap and flush the system using Chris' (LimTeng) method. It's a bit of a messy job, but if it solves the problem, you saved yourself a ton of money.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Here's the latest: Me and my dad got under the TA and changed out the trans fluid and replaced a new trans filter. Lets give it sometime and I will get back to yall and tell yall how it worked out! Thanks for your replies!

Comment

Working...
                        X