y-pipe hitting floorboard!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• y-pipe hitting floorboard!!!!!!

I just got the y-pipe bolted up to the headers, but when i drive it rattles like crazy. I think it's hitting the floorboard. How do i stop this???????? I'm taking it into an exhaust shop but they prolly won't know what to do, so i need to know what to tell them.........
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

You can do one of two things: 1. Buy some exhaust wrap and exhaust clamps. Wrap around part where hitting and clamp up the ends. Only bad thing about that is it won't pass inspection if inspector sees that. 2. Muffler shop will cut out the part that is hitting, and weld a new lowered or pinched pipe in place of that.

Comment

When I was searching for my rattle, I layed under the car with it off and grabbed the y-pipe and shook it hard back and forth to find the rattle, i grinded away a tiny sliver of metal and it was fixed.
      1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Okay thanks, i'm taking it into a muffler shop and i'll tell him what i've heard from you guys and hopefully that problem will be fixed. It bugs that crap out of me but my dad said that he coudln't hear it hitting when he was outside of the car, but it vibrates like crazy!!!! By the way it sounds awesome!!!!!!!! The longtubes through the flowmaster make it sound like an older muscle car!!!
        1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

You could loosen up the header on the driver's side and pull down on it or wedge something down by the collector to lower the y-pipe a little and then tighten the header bolts again. Check to see if the y-pipe is not slid up far enough onto the header. It took me 3-4 tries of removing and reinstalling the y-pipe to get it to clear better. Mine still hits the floorboard on serious acceleration from a dead stop. And I put new motor mounts in and it still twists the motor that much.
          69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
          70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
          2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

A common problem is the pipe hitting on the sheet metal "g-load" cross-brace. It can be bent slightly, or shimmed with a few washers, if that's what's hitting.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X