Rear diff problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff problems

I sheared some teeth off my ring and pinion gears a few weeks back and had to have the car towed to my uncle's shop. I had the posi-unit inspected to see if it needed replacing and was told it appeared to be just fine. I also had it checked to see if it needed to be shimmed and was told that it was also just fine.

Well after diving it for a week I started to hear a little gear noise which I assumed was normal until it turned into a loud obnxious sound that resembles an air-raid siren. I pulled the cover and looked inside and everything still appears to be ship-shape but the rear is still making that horrible sound.

Anybody have any advice on how to fix this problem???
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Get you some of the special yellow grease and check the pattern on the gears forward & backward and see what they look like. That might give you a clue if there is a problem in there.

Comment

You might want to look at the bearings, particularly the pinion bearing- the parts that grenaded may have sent some debris in there and chewed up things. Maybe lift the back end, put it in neutral and spin everything to see if you can localize the sounds.
      Your rear-end service should have included tearing everthing apart and a good cleaning to get any debris out. If you are that far into the rear end anyhow, you should pull the axles the rest of the way out and flush out the axle tubes, too.
      Your mechanic probably didn't want to pull the pinion gear out, becasue to do that right you have to set the rear end up acain, measuring backlash and all. You adjust the mesh between the pinion and ring gears with shims, a fussy job- not something to rush through-
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
      X