Door hinge making scratchy sounds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door hinge making scratchy sounds?

I think there's some dirt caught in the door hinges making a sound when the door is opening or closing (at the position where the spring keeps it from opening further easily). Anyone else experience this? I hope I don't have to replace the door hinge. When the door is opened, it shows no signs of sagging when slightly lifting the rear of the door or when closing it. Thanks

i got some lithium grease in a can that I sprayed on mine. fixed my squeek right up. Maybe spray it down to rinse the dirt off, then put the grease on.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. It's not so much squeaky (sounds more like grinding specs of dirt).

Comment

A little white lithium grease makes a world of difference. In my case though, the bushing on the pin was completely gone. I ended up changing the whole lower hinge. Be forewarned though, reinstalling the spring without the special tool.....a real pain in the a$$, unless it flies out and hits ya in the forehead like it did me...lol. For some reason which I no longer remember (not caused by the spring), I took the door completely off the car, I was surprised just how light they are. If ya try to work the spring back into the hinge without the spring tool, just make sure ya have 2 stout flat head screwdrivers. One to hold it in place and one to pry it onto the keepers.
        LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Mine does not constantly sound like this, there are times it sounds quiet, then there are times I hear what sounds like dirt grinding into the metal (not a whole lot).

Comment

Is there a step-by-step procedure with changing the lower door hinge? I may attempt doing this myself. I think the problem is with the roller that the spring rides on. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffs Black 97 Formula A4
              Is there a step-by-step procedure with changing the lower door hinge? I may attempt doing this myself. I think the problem is with the roller that the spring rides on. Thanks.
              Not that Im aware of unless Shoebox has it on his site. If I can do it (short temper and all) you can do it. I think that may have been why I decided just to take the door off...seems like it was just easier to do it that way. Isnt much to it, just have something to hold up the door so you dont have to take out all the wiring too. Just take it off, sit it on a milk crate and have a friend hold on to it long enough to bolt the hinge to the car itself.
              LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

I think the lower hinge is rusting out (it could be the rust I'm hearing intermittently when I open and close the door). After spraying, and trying the hinge again, I noticed a brown spot on the rocker panel. I sprayed more, and got more brown stuff (the lubricant is clear).

Comment

Working...
                X