driveshaft vibrates at higher speeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driveshaft vibrates at higher speeds

On my 1996 trans am, my driveshaft starts to vibrate around 80+ mph. Does anyone know why this might be happening? I'm sort of stumped so any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Mike

1996 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air: 160k kilometres, low temp T-stat, tuned, 3.73 gears, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, B&M skip shifter, BFG drag radials

Common problem. There was a GM TSB to fix this, but it only covered the car when it was under warranty.

The solution is either a LS1 aluminum driveshaft or a 1LE aluminum driveshaft. You could also take your current driveshaft to a driveline shop and have them balance it.

Suggestion: Use the forum's "Search" feature for basic questions like this. This question has been answered many times.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

This has been reported on LT1 cars like said before, but the 3.73 gears have a reputation for exagerating it. Replacment driveshaft is usually the recommended solution.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

By replacement, do you mean from an LS1?

Mike

1996 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air: 160k kilometres, low temp T-stat, tuned, 3.73 gears, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, B&M skip shifter, BFG drag radials

Comment

Originally posted by 96_TA
          By replacement, do you mean from an LS1?

Mike
          Either that or a 1LE. There are also aftermarket companies that sell them in various materials.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Is there one that is recommended or the best one to go with? And what am I looking for in the driveshaft? A certain material (ie. aluminum), size, etc?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

as stated before the search function is really useful.

The 1LE is recommended over the LS1 driveshaft because it's a bit stronger. Either will work.

Aluminum is recommended over the steel because its lighter and obviously it lessens the vibration

Comment

I wonder if they even still make teh 1LE shaft. Checkout www.shbox.com and you might find the part number.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

no they do not still make the 1LE dirveshaft. It has been discontinued. I'm having a hard time finding one myself and might just settle for an LS1 driveshaft since i dont plan on going to wild in the horsepower/torque category.

Comment

I've got the LS-1 driveshaft on my '95 firebird for $288.00 or so and the car felt a little smoother and lighter. Its a direct replacement to the LT1 DS.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Cool, so then a replacement seems to be the only way to go then right? Since I have recently replaced the u-joints and had the drive shaft balanced.

Mike

Comment

You recently had the U-joint replaced and balanced, and NOW you have a vibration?!?! I would be back at that shop so fast, they would think I never left. What kind of work did they do for ya?
                        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Yes, I agree. The car is going back in on wednesday. I am having them re-balance it and then I will go from there.

Mike

Comment

Just got off the phone with the mechanic...he says the U-joint is all rusted to shit. Hopefully thats what the prob was.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 96_TA
                              Just got off the phone with the mechanic...he says the U-joint is all rusted to shit. Hopefully thats what the prob was.

Mike
                              Thta should be the first thing any mecanic looks for when diagnosing a vibration in the drive line. Ask to see the U-joint after they are done to see the wear and or rust. I would think if you have the drive shaft out and removed the u-joints to balance the shaft why not replace them right away? The mechanic should have suggested this. U-joints arent that expensive. Its like pulling a trany with 160,000 k, you might as well do the clutch while your there, cause you know you will have to do it right away anyways.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                              6.2L/382.97 ci
                              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                              WCT-5 speed
                              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                              Boss MS 18" Rims
                              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                              Custom Dual exhaust
                              1LE upgrade
                              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror