Tubular K member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubular K member

Does anyone know when the tubular k member will be out? I have AS&M mids will BMR's work?
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Originally posted by HottestZ28
    Does anyone know when the tubular k member will be out? I have AS&M mids will BMR's work?
    Are you talking about the much anticipated Sphon K-Member? If so, I have no idea. Injuneer should know though. And about the BMR K-Member, yes it will work.
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Do you know from experience? I just don't want to shell out 500+ until I know from someone who has done it themself.
      I LOVE COBRA'S -
      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

The PA Racing, MTI, Pro Fab, BMR, AJE, and QA1 tubular k-members are specifically designed to work with all headers. That and the weight savings and additional strength are exactly why people use aftermarket tubular k-members.

UMI Performance and Spohn are supposed to be releasing their versions very soon supposedly.

Granatelli also makes one, but I have seen a few posts of failures with the Granatelli unit.

Comment

I have seen posts on another board (Project TransAM) indicating the BMR will not work with AS&M's. The BMR website states that the LT1 K-member with the integral motor mounts will not work with "shorty headers".
          NOTE: Due to motor mount design, this K-member is not compatible with shorty headers.
          The discussions I've had with Steve Spohn indicate his design stays within the factory envelope to the extent that there are no known interferences with any headers.

Latest word on release on the Spohn is "July".... but that's a 3 month slip from the last expected date.

Based on first-hand experience with the PA Racing K-member, I would personally not even consider using it.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The AS&M mids will fit with a BMR k-member. I have talked to a few guys that did that particular combo. They said there were no clearancing issues to speak of.

Shorty's are a different story. They put the collector too close to the motor mounts.

What was the problem with your PA Racing k-member Fred? I have seen a few posts of people stating that they were not completely welded in some spots. But then again, I have seen people complain about every k-member made.

My PA Racing k-member appeared to be of excellent quality and fit perfectly. Guess I could have gotten a lucky one, but I have seen alot of good posts about PA Racing k-members as well.

I think the UMI Performance and Spohn will be the ticket. I have seen the mock up pics of the UMI and it looks to be built very well.

Comment

The PA wasn't mine, it was George's..... cracked welds, bolt holes that couldn't be accessed, sloppy dimensional tolerances. PA replaced it but it should have been built right the first time.

My impressions of PA may also be biased by the fact that they stiffed me out of $250 sponsor money they promised to contribute to one of our race events and failed to deliver, even though they were prominently featured as an event sponsor in the literature and advertising.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I really don't know how the BMR works with the AS&M"s.... I just know several people contacted me about the Spohn K-member, because they felt the BMR would not work with the AS&M"s.... maybe its all based on urban legend. Worth asking BMR though before you buy a set, I would think.

http://camaross.com/forums/showthrea...-member+AS%26M

Fred

Comment

Interesting story about PA Racing. That's never good to stiff someone out of contigency or sponsorship money.

I agree that the best thing to do is to call BMR and tell them exactly what you have and get their opinion. It's what I always do.

Comment

If I call will they actually know if it fits or not, when I called BAER about my brakes they said the "GT+" kit would work with my TT2 and I can tell you my "track" kit won't even clear tape -on weights (which I like). But would have liked to go will the weight savings from the bolt on hats with the "GT+"

I just want to lighten up the front end now that I added a solid front sway bar

I would also like tubular upper and lower control arms for more camber/caster due to lowering.
                    I LOVE COBRA'S -
                    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Comment

I've also seen posts from people indicating the AS&M headers hit their STOCK K-member, so maybe its more of an AS&M consistancy problem. Mine fit fine with the stock K-member, but my drivers side collector was modified so it comes straight back, rather than crossing over in front of the oil pan.
                      Fred

Comment

I only really hat a fitment problem with my cat shield on the floorpan. just removed it. ran "test pipe"
                        I LOVE COBRA'S -
                        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Comment

Working...
                        X