Oh great...It's happened!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK...done!

I thought I'd write up an addendum to the guide over at www.shbox.com. The guide is definitely a must read. I followed it to a "T". Here are some comments:

-The whole job took maybe 1.5 hours. Not too bad considering I saved $250.

-When drilling into the door to get to the rivets, definitely get some breathing protection. I didn't anticiapate the cloude of stuff. It's composite and a little like fiberglass. Get one of those paper-like nose/mouth masks before you start!!

-The most difficult part of this whole exersize was lining up the new motor. I had marked the holes to be used as per the guide, but it was a bit of a PITA. Using a 1/2 bit to get to the rivets is probably best. I used a 3/8". The screws and nuts that came with the motor were pretty small and not that long. Holding the motor in place and trying to get the screw in was not easy. I went for the easiest hole first (on the bottom). Got the screw in and put the nut on loosely. After that the others were easier. I used some blue locktite on each screw and nut.

-Make sure you test it before you put the door panel back on. I did and didn't have any problems. Thank goodness!!

I fear the passenger side is going to go soon as well, but I'll save that for another day. Thanks for all the help guys!!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Yeah, breathing protection is recommended in the text on the page. Glad you got 'er done.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Rob...I can't say enough about your site! Of all the 4th gen reference sites, yours could arguably be number one. If I could take a moment, I'd like to thank you personally.

I read about the breathing protection on the guide and didn't mean to suggest that you overlooked it. I just felt the need to emphasize that point.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Glad to hear you got the window in . Yes, Rob's guide is awesome, helped me a lot. Glad I've got him linked on my site
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
            Rob...I can't say enough about your site! Of all the 4th gen reference sites, yours could arguably be number one. If I could take a moment, I'd like to thank you personally.

I read about the breathing protection on the guide and didn't mean to suggest that you overlooked it. I just felt the need to emphasize that point.
            Good stuff. Feedback by people actually following the instructions are welcome. It helps the next guy doing it.

Oh, and thanks for the accolade.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I thought my passenger motor was going because it was slow but noticed the passenger side switch worked fine but the driver's side switch barely made contact because it was broken. A new switch and it's working like new. I wonder if these switches breaking will cause not enough voltage to go to the motor and cause them to burn out?
              69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
              70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
              2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Working...
              X