Bug removal from paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug removal from paint

Since my recent 1200 mile excursion to Tennessee and back, I haven't had a chance to clean the vast amount of bug guts from my car. The car doesn't sit in the sun, so they weren't cooked in or anything. Well, washing it didn't do it, so off to the pressure washer I went. Even THAT couldn't get them off. They just got wet and really sticky and slimy. Is there any easy way to get this crap off? Washing, pressure washing, and even WD40 didn't work (the magical cure all). Any ideas?
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

try white vinegar. if that does not do it......clay it.

tip: if you used zaino show car polish.........bugs wont stick. after a road trip... i simply spray zaino z6 gloss enhanser on the bugs and wipe them clean off with ease. ive even flicked them off with my finger at rest stops.....folks cant believe it.

for furture ref

www.zainobros.com

the danger is the acid from the bug. it can permantly etch your clear coat......and it wont come off..its in the clear. bugs cant penetrate the zaino.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Bug and Tar remover should do the trick. Its in the name. I think turtle wax makes it. It will take off everything, except your paint of course. I first used it to get sap off. It does wonders.
      96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

can't help on this trip, but suggest you get a good quality bra for teh car (try GM-excellent) and use it when you do road trips. Follow teh suggestions to clean and wax before you put it on, and then remove and reclean when you return. I have used one on my ragtop for 3 years for other than around town travel, and I have saved the paint from bugs and rock chips, and have had no paint damage from the bra rubbing teh paint.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Yah but that sometimes scratches the paint...

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
          can't help on this trip, but suggest you get a good quality bra for teh car (try GM-excellent) and use it when you do road trips. Follow teh suggestions to clean and wax before you put it on, and then remove and reclean when you return. I have used one on my ragtop for 3 years for other than around town travel, and I have saved the paint from bugs and rock chips, and have had no paint damage from the bra rubbing teh paint.
          I had a toyota celica before I got my camaro and they had a bra on it... Well it started to scratch the paint and all when I started to drive it when during the summer with the leather warmed and all... So it is a double edged sword...

Hay wolfman thanks for the info on the zaino show polish... because I have used meguiars gold class car polish on my camaro and it left the paint looking two toned and the bugs still got stuck to it...

Hay MN6WS6, my suggestion would be get some bug and tire remover spray it on and use something that is ruff not too ruff to scrap them off... that usually works with my celica and my camaro...
          Thanks
          MaraSport

Comment

I have a car bra, but couldn't find the stupid thing before I left. I don't know if I have it buried in the garage, or if somebody stole it, but it is definitely MIA.

From all the places I've posted, the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover sounds like what I need. Thanks guys.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
            X