Thieves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thieves

I awoke this morning at my girlfriends house to find that my driver's-side wheels had been stolen and my lugs were scattered everywhere. It really sickens me that someone came into her yard and stole the wheels off my car without my alarm going off or the neighbors seeing anything. The officer pretty much told me I'm S.O.L. and that I shouldn't expect to see them ever again. Also last week someone stole my WS6 emblem off the back bumper. It's prolly the same person so I'm not gonna be leaving my car there anymore just in case they decide to try something else.

I have some Z28 wheels in the garage to put on it temporarily but plan on picking up some new wheels next month. I am looking at going bigger in the back and want to buy some 17x11 TTII's. I know I have to cut my fender lip and knock in the fender well with a hammer but I'm not sure what else needs to be done. I think I remember hearing that I have to modify the bump-stop but I'm not quite sure how or why. Any help is appreciated.
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Sorry to hear. Sometimes mankind just sickens me. Did you have comprehensive insurance?
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Shame there's so many dishonest people around.

The TT II 17x11's have slightly less offset than the ZR1/Grand Sport 17x11's, so most of the problem is on the fender lip. Don't "cut" it.... "roll" it up.

I have a writeup on installing the 17x11 wheels in the FAQ of another board:

http://camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312442
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Sorry about your wheels. Whoever did it... They'll get theirs. Don't worry.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

It sounds like a small USB camera aimed at the car might not be a bad idea.

I'd go so far as to set up a "honeypot" to catch them.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Get your new wheels on there... Park at your girls house... Set up a camera... Wait behind the bushes with a shot gun... Well, I am sure you can figure out the rest.

Chances are its someone that you or your girl knows. Or atleast someone that lives in her neighborhood.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

It sounded like a good plan until this part
              Wait behind the bushes with a shot gun...
              j/k

Seriously, get some good locking lugnuts when you get the new wheels. I have Gorilla locking lugnuts that have a cylinder on the outside that spins. Even if they have a lock removal tool, they'll have a hard time getting them off. I think its horrible that we have to lock our homes, our cars, and now even our wheels. Maybe I should plan ahead and get a locking gas cap.
              95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

I thought the stock lugs need an adapter. I suppose you have after market wheels and lugs.

One wonders why they stole only the driver's side wheels. Heck...if you're going to take 2 you might as well take them all. Odd....
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Im thinking about buying a set of zr1 wheels from a friend for 500, with 335 tires on the back, dont remember the side wall but does anybody know what their offset is. I think their stock. And is it possible to put 335 on an 11inch wide rim or are they 11.5 or something.
                  2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

An genuine OEM ZR1 17x11" wheel has an offset of 36.5mm, and will stick outside the fender. What you want is the wheel that was used on the 1996 Corvette Grand Sport..... same 17x11 wheel as the ZR1, but with a 50mm offset. That puts the outside edge of the tires exactly under the outer edge of the fender if you look straight down from above the fender.

Same with the front... you want the 17x9.5" 56mm offset wheels from the Grand Sport. The real ZR1 wheels have a 37.5mm offset and will be near the outer edge of the fender and the tires will rub on the inner plastic fender line.

A 335/35-17 will fit on an 11.0" wide wheel.... it just makes it more likely to rub on the fender lip and on the inner fender liners. You need a bigger hammer to make it work.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                    X