T56 maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T56 maintenance

This is my first F-body or car for that matter with a manual transmission. I was curious as to what I need to do in oreder to take proper care of it?
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

use the clutch when you shift

im actually not sure as i have an A4. but im just guessing dont beat on it and it will last you a long time.
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

The T56 is a pretty hardy trans, heck they use it in so many cars its not even funny, Mustang, F-body, Viper. Change the trans oil acording to the manual and make sure you use good quality oils and it will last a long time. Of course the more you bag on it the shorter the life.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Good deal guys, thanks! Whats the best oil to use for it and wheres the best place to get it?
        1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

The recommended oil is Dexron III Auto Trans Fluid. That's what I'm using. I don't think the Manual is as hard on the oil as an Auto tranny is. The owner's manual doesn't even recommend changing it....ever! Still I think it's a good idea. I can't believe that it would last forever. I changed mine out at 77k and no problems to speak of.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
          X