Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lifter brand for a LT1 engine?

Hi:
    The "classical" tapping noise a few seconds after the engine is started then dissapear after a few seconds heard it....
    Which lifter brand do you recommend to me?....There is a post in CamaroZ24 forum about de ComC lifters, warning do not purchase that brand....

Thanks a lot for your information...
    Dochidalgo
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Doc, I have read alot of good things about those alloy steel Morel lifters. The Comp Cams Endure-X lifter had a few minor problems but I think Comp sorted all that out. So I think the Endure-X would be a good choice as well.

Comment

Thanks Kev!
      By the way, do you know about a reputable and reliable mechanic shop in New Braunfels-San Antonio area?... I'm going to replace the OEM lifters plus to upgrade the valvetrain, but I would like make it right from the first time...
      Regards
      Dochidalgo

Comment

Doc, Summit now sells replacement hydraulic roller lifters for the LT1 under their own house brand. They sell the set for $104. Something to consider!
        1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by dochidalgo
          Thanks Kev!
          By the way, do you know about a reputable and reliable mechanic shop in New Braunfels-San Antonio area?... I'm going to replace the OEM lifters plus to upgrade the valvetrain, but I would like make it right from the first time...
          Regards
          Dochidalgo
          I'd recommend Lethal Performance. Great guys and very knowledgable:

Lethal Performance
          13130 Lookout Run, San Antonio, TX 78233
          (210) 656-5220

Comment

hey Kevin...Wow.....the Morel's...400 bucks!!!.....must be the best of all lifters...indeed!...well, I asked for the best, didn't I?....
            I found the Lethal Performance Texas web site, but is not finished yet...i'll call them..
            Thanks again...

AmericanZ28.....thanks to you too for the information....I asked Summit about the manufacturer brand...
            Take care
            dochidalgo

Comment

ur lifters arent shot, they're just taking a lil longer to build up, remember oil pressure keeps them pumped up
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

hey Kevin...Wow.....the Morel's...400 bucks!!!.....must be the best of all lifters...indeed!...well, I asked for the best, didn't I?....
                I found the Lethal Performance Texas web site, but is not finished yet...i'll call them..
                Thanks again...

AmericanZ28.....thanks to you too for the information....I asked Summit about the manufacturer brand...
                Take care
                dochidalgo
                There are much more expensive lifters out there.....but yes, you did ask for the best.

Just make sure that you use a OEM type lifter that has the OEM type link bar and chamfered oiling orifice, and the outside diameter is .8427" although many sites will list the lifter as .842". They are really .8427".

Also it is very critical that if decide to go with anything other than an exact OEM replacement, that you measure the pushrod length with a pushrod length checker tool. I'm assuming you don't want to have to go through all that trouble just to swap lifters on a internally stock motor, so I will assume you will just use a OEM replacement.

Before you replace the lifters, have you checked your lifter pre-load(rocker arm tightness?) How does your oil pressure look?

Comment

I have comp pro magnum 1.6 rollers theyre great, easy install and no problems and were $189... i would def do new pushrods if your doing rockers as well you can pick up a set of melling pushrods at autozone for like 70 bucks. Also ive noticed when my oil pressure is fairly low BUT the light doesnt come on i can hear some valvetrain noise due to low oil... i threw in another quart of oil and the noise seized....

Comment

Ohh, yes..the oil pressure is fine......40 or more psi under acceleration.....the weather is too hot....100-103ºF, and I notice the tapping sound began with that kind of weather arrived....Mobil 1 10W30......so, the local mechanic shop added the Lucas oil "additive" (waste of money....I already know..but I could not tell him that...anyway, he pour on the engine)....and , yes...you have the right thought....it was worthless.... the noise is there.....So, my option could be to pour Mobil 1 10w40 instead 10w30 perhaps......I went with the mechanic in order to check the passenger side valvetrain where I located the noise source according to my sthetoscope....but he did not take my instructions about to check the valvetrain...He had laziness...i guess, (that's why I need a professional mechanic shop)..go figure..the weather temps plus all the dissensambly job just in the more laborious side of the engine....

Yes Kevin, i'm going to use the OEM ones, so I appreciate your counseling about this issue...in fact these are my valvetrain parts selection...including the paxton350's suggestion..thanks man....:
                    CCA-7808-16 Comp Cams High Energy pushrods
                    CCA-1305-16 Competition Cams Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms
                    CCA-4501-16 Competition Cams Rocker Arm Studs
                    CCA-986-16 Competition Cams Valve Springs
                    CCA-875-16 Competition Cams Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters
                    CCA-503-16 Competition Cams Valve Seals
                    CCA-613-16 Competition Cams Super Valve Locks
                    CCA-740-16 Competition Cams Steel Valve Spring Retainers
                    or SUM-HT214 Lifter, Hydraulic Roller, Chevy, Each
                    The guide plates are in home just yet.
                    Well, that list worth 600 "green ones".....or 800 with the Morel's....or in other point of view, 15-20 HP more......maybe.....
                    But, in another hand, a friend of mine, here in Mexico, insist to me in purchase the LT4 kit (without camshaft), He assure to me my engine will gain same HPs than the CC RR's...but with a better budget....

Sorry for the long reply.......but I really appreciate Kevin,Americanz28,paxton350 and 88bird5spd (point taken....)your knowledge.....
                    Take care
                    dochidalgo

Add: just arrived....funny video...The Camaro Song
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdegQmtgFSM

Comment

Hi Kev:
                      I found these lifters..
                      http://www.rhoadslifters.com/

Seems they are a little noisy but a great performance
                      Do you know them?
                      I would appreciate your imput about my valvetrain list stated in my previous post
                      Thnka
                      Dochidalgo

Comment

Hi Kev:
                        I found these lifters..
                        http://www.rhoadslifters.com/

Seems they are a little noisy but a great performance
                        Do you know them?
                        I would appreciate your imput about my valvetrain list stated in my previous post
                        Thnka
                        Dochidalgo
                        Racers have been using Rhoads lifters for a while now(20+ years) on the exhaust side as another one of those little hotrodder tricks trying to get that edge.

Hot Rod mag did an article on them last year(2005) and reported that they showed a 5" increase in vacuum in an LS1 with a mild/moderate cam and made more power.

I've heard Rhoads lifters in a few cars at the track, and they are a little noisy. They sound almost like a solid lifter.

I have never heard them in an LT1 before. But since the lifter in a LT1 is basically the same as a SBC lifter, I wouldn't think the knock sensor and Rhoads lifters would play to nicely.

I have seen some posts by Ed Wright stating that he has personal experience with them. He said they didn't show any increase in performance and were very noisy.

You valvetrain selection seems just fine.

The 613 and 740 combination are compatible and are the correct parts for a 986 spring.

Comment

Thanks a lot Kevin.....
                          Take care
                          dochidalgo

Comment

Thanks a lot Kevin.....
                            Take care
                            dochidalgo
                            Anytime Doc. You know that I am always willing to help out my friends here on this board.

Comment

BTW, you have a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X