Question about A/C and voltage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about A/C and voltage

This has been an issue that I have never had resolved. I rarely use my a/c in the car, but I had it on today and I remembered about an issue I had with it. When the a/c is on, and I am in drive-usually only happens when stopped like at a light, the amp meter reads clear down in the yellow/orange range. It's been so low that my turn signal got slow and stopped working, literally froze in the "blink" cycle. This can't be normal, but it's always been an issue for me. I know the a/c puts a bigger load on the engine, but it shouldn't be that bad. Any suggestions and/or causes?
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

I think its the extra draw from the fans. Your alternator may not be putting out enough power to compensate. Mine does that too some times. One hot days with the A/C on and at idle. If you put it in neutral it will pick back up to the proper voltage.
    Do you have a aftermarket pully? this will make the problem worse. but my Firebird has the stock pulleys.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

The problem is not with the A/C, it's with your charging system. The alternators seem to be marginal at best when the electrical system is really loaded. Times like headlights, wipers, a/c all going and you are stopped in traffic. It seems to be more of an issue with automatic transmission cars that with stick shift cars. The reason is that putting an automatic into gear drops the rpms of the engine to a point that is lower than out of gear. Iften times putting the car in neutral increases the engine speed just enough to get it up to a better charge. The best fix is a good quality high output 140 amp alternator at the minimum. That's one of the better investments I made in the car. Since I'm in hot and sunny Florida, I run A/C day and night, and MSD, lights, wipers, stereo and no charging problems anymore.

Comment

Thank you for that info. Everything is stock, and the alternator is original. I do have an automatic, as well. My father works at NAPA, so I will have him price a new one with higher ampage. Thanks!
        1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Working...
        X