Intake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake

I have a 96 lt1 that is being rebuilt at the time. so i have the intake at home right now. i have cleaned it all up so it looks new. So the next step is that i want to paint it red like the lt4 intakes. What paint do i use exactly. i dont know what the color is called. i also need to know where to get this paint.

thanks!
    LIVIN LIFE IN THE FASTLANE
    96 lt1 Trans am: lt headers, k&n filter, Flowmaster catbacks, Pro 5.0 shifter, MSD cap and rotor kit

please kill the "caps" in the subect line. remember, it's in the rules and regulations of the board.

A good quality engine enamel or ceramicoat works just fine.

Comment

Take this for what it's worth...but why paint it red?

Here's my line of reasoning: if you going to customize something...make it unique. But painting an LT1 intake to look like an LT4 intake is...well...fake. Look, it's one thing to make somehting your own, but painting it red screams "Betcha think I've got an LT4 under the hood, don't ya?". If you must customize, don't pretend to look like something else...be unique.

Maybe it's just a pet-peeve of mine, but after seeing so many V6 Firebirds running around with WS6 decals on the back of the car, it really gets my goat. When I ask these posers what the point is, the say, "No, I'm not trying to say my car is a WS6...I just like the sticker." Gimme a break....

Just my $0.02 sense...to each his own. Just be carefull of your intentions...
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Sure, and alternative to red is a nice clearcote or powdercoat silver or some other color to match the car. I've seen a lot of variations that look nice. Mine happens to be red, though

Comment

I actually agree it's fake, but for my case I have a black car with red accents and would really like a red intake. and i really like the LT4 shade of red.
          I LOVE COBRA'S -
          THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

I'de paint it the same color as your car, If your going to paint it at all. But dont fake the funk =P
            95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

My car is white
              LIVIN LIFE IN THE FASTLANE
              96 lt1 Trans am: lt headers, k&n filter, Flowmaster catbacks, Pro 5.0 shifter, MSD cap and rotor kit

Comment

Actually mine IS an LT4 and it is some color I couldn't match when I painted my engine and powdercoated my timing cover and ended up with 3 different colors of red. But it's really hard to tell cause it's all pretty much covered up anyway - you can barely see the block or the timing cover, and only part of the water pump. For that matter, I have the fuel rails covering half of the manifold, too. Not going to try to paint those red, then it would be an obvious mismatch unless I nail the color exactly.

Comment

I think you should paint it whatever color you think looks the best. If you want it to be red, then paint it red. I don't see what the big deal is about painting an LT1 intake red, which just happens to be the same color as the LT4 intake, as long as you don't call it an LT4 intake. I have an SS hood on my car but its not an SS. I love how it looks, but I don't call my car an SS and nobody seems to have a problem with it.
                  95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Originally posted by AJ52486
                    I think you should paint it whatever color you think looks the best. If you want it to be red, then paint it red. I don't see what the big deal is about painting an LT1 intake red, which just happens to be the same color as the LT4 intake, as long as you don't call it an LT4 intake. I have an SS hood on my car but its not an SS. I love how it looks, but I don't call my car an SS and nobody seems to have a problem with it.
                    That's what I think, too. I have some Vette stuff - wheels, brakes, and fuel rail covers - and all it means is that I have a few upgraded parts that fit like OEM - still GM - not trying to be a Vette by any means. Some purists don't like it, but a lot of people do, and besides, I didn't build it to please them.

Comment

I really like the look of motors that have intake manifolds that are painted to match the car's body color.

If red is what you want, paint it red.

Supposedly the Torch Red POR-15 is a pretty close match.

The intake manifold doesn't see much heat, so most automotive paints and rattle can paints will work. Just make sure you bend the EGR feed pipe away from the IM or wrap the feed pipe very well in heat resistant tape.

Comment

As long as you don't put an "LT4" sticker on it you'll be OK. I like red......

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                        X