New tires on stock 16" rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires on stock 16" rims

Well, I might need to start looking for new tires soon. Currently using Eagle GS-C's and like the way they look and feel. But I think they're discontinued. Anyone have suggestions on make and model tire on stock rim? 245/50-ZR16. Thanks.

When I bought mine used it came with brand new Cooper Cobra GTZ tires.

No complaints about them so far.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

If I remember correctly, I priced some Bridgestones or Firestones a few weeks ago at $118 bucks a tire. This was for 245/50R16. This was either from the WalMart.com site or Expert Tire.com site. Like I said its been a few weeks so I dont remember exactly, but maybe itll give you an idea of prices.
      LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Eagle GS-Cs are absolute crap. Switch to a good tire and you wont believe how terrible the Goodyears were.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Come on, are GSC's really that bad? I don't do a whole lot of hard cornering, but the tires seem to hold the road pretty well. The steering response feels good as well. I just don't want the new tires to make the handling appear softer.

Basically would like tires that look good on the sidewall, last longer than GSC's, and have treads that look aggressive.

Thinking one of the three:
          1. Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval
          2. BF Goodrich G-Force T/A kd
          3. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 (I don't really like the tread design on this tire, but that's the only one available in my size). What happened to the original design on the 98-later WS6?

Comment

Odd... my car came new with 245/50-16 GS-C's and they were an excellent all-round tire. Good cornering capabilites, good straight line traction, and excellent tread life. They had such a high cornering capability that when they finally broke loose, it was a sudden and difficult to control transition.... but I had to push them very hard to reach that limit.

I replaced them at 20K miles (still 1/2 the tread left) with 275/40-17 GS-C's and I put 45K miles on them before I removed them. They still had 1/3 of the tread left, enabling me to sell the wheels and tires together for a good price. Again, the 275 provided good handling when the car was lowered, and held up fairly well to 425rwHP.

All that said.... GS-C's are outdated technology, and should not even be considered as a replacement. The current top dog is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Outstanding user and tester reviews for dry traction, wet traction, cornering, etc. Tire Rack has them for $155. The BFG KD's are worth consideration if you don't drive wet conditions.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X