Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caroll Shelby challenges GM - Time to "pony" up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caroll Shelby challenges GM - Time to "pony" up!

DEARBORN, Mich. — Describing the Mustang as its "iconic" product, Ford executives on Wednesday promised to keep interest in the pony car high by providing "new product content" year over year.

"We will add new products to the Mustang lineup," Derrick Kuzak told Inside Line. "It's a commitment. Carroll [Shelby] will work every year on the Mustang."

Kuzak, however, gave no details on what's in the pipeline for Mustang. When asked if we can expect a 600-horsepower version of the car, he replied, "Never say never to anything." It was clear in interviews that Shelby and the Ford team may be a bit anxious about the prospects of a revived Chevrolet Camaro.

"With the new Camaro, they'd better not dream they'll have more horsepower [than Mustang]," Shelby told IL in an interview at the 2007 Ford full-line preview here on Wednesday, which showcased the 2007 Shelby GT500. When asked if the Mustang is racing toward the 600-hp mark, the automotive legend said, "It would be very easy for the Mustang to go to 600 horsepower — and north from there — and still pass the company's 50,000-mile warranty."

When asked if we could see a 600-hp Mustang in a year or two, Shelby responded, "Maybe."

"I'd get in trouble if I told you," he said, although he confirmed that a redesigned Mustang is due out in 2009. Shelby confided that while his health is good following both a heart transplant and a kidney transplant, he is now blind in one eye.

When asked for his impressions of the Camaro concept, Shelby said, "I don't think it's sensational, but I think it's adequate." He added: "I don't think the Camaro will come out with anything that puts us down. We are ahead of the game. And we know how to stay ahead. I don't see people — the general press or the public — knocking the design of the Mustang."

What this means to you: The Detroit muscle-car race sounds like it's about to get heated up in the coming years.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

The more things change, the more they stay the same- Ford invents the personal luxury sporty car, T-bird in what, '54 and Chevrolet comes up with the Corvette. 2-seater, V-8, what a great idea!

Ford makes the Mustang in 64 1/2, Chevy catches up with the Camaro in '67.

Now, Ford comes up with the retro Mustang, and, golly, GM has decided to re-create the Camaro.

In all cases, I like the GM vehicle better, but credit where due, Ford started each of those balls rolling.

What do you mean, "the muscle-car war is heating up"? Have you seen the Z06, or GTO? How about the Hemi Charger? Gentlemen, these ARE the good old years!
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
      What do you mean, "the muscle-car war is heating up"? Have you seen the Z06, or GTO? How about the Hemi Charger? Gentlemen, these ARE the good old years!
      I don't think they like the fact that their 550 horse, $125,000 GT owners consistently read the vanity plates on the back of Z06 owners cars.

Wow! Did I just smack talk? LMAO. That's so unlike me.
      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
        I don't think they like the fact that their 550 horse, $125,000 GT owners consistently read the vanity plates on the back of Z06 owners cars.

Wow! Did I just smack talk? LMAO. That's so unlike me.
        That is if they can get past the security system on the GT40 to keep it running. Then they can see the vanity plates on the Z06s.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The more things change, the more they stay the same- Ford invents the personal luxury sporty car, T-bird in what, '54 and Chevrolet comes up with the Corvette. 2-seater, V-8, what a great idea!

Ford makes the Mustang in 64 1/2, Chevy catches up with the Camaro in '67.

Now, Ford comes up with the retro Mustang, and, golly, GM has decided to re-create the Camaro.

In all cases, I like the GM vehicle better, but credit where due, Ford started each of those balls rolling.

Chevy came out with the Corvetee in '53. while not a 'luxury' sports car it was a sports car typical of the british sports cars of the era.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

I like how they compare the new Camaro to the Shelby GT500. I highly doubt GM will even build a Camaro model to compete with that GT500. Seriously, how many GT500s is Ford building?

This is the same thing Ford has always done. Build a few high dollar high horsepower Mustangs and compare them to the garden variety mass produced Z28, then calim victory. Sorry, Ford, it does not work that way.

I got so tired of seeing the Cobra R get compared to Z28s or SSs. Comparing it to a GMMG car would be more appropriate.

The fact is, the only way Ford can claim more power is to compare a limited production model super Mustang to a high volume mass produced Camaro.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Okay, I got that one backwards- should have done my homework. Still, when Ford brought out the T-bird, it already had the V-8. Chevrolet's first Corvettes were truck 6-cylinder engines.

I wonder how many Z06's are being sold. Even though they are less than HALF the cost of the GT40. The Ford still is a nice car, BTW, just meant to compete more with the likes of Ferrari-

Still, we need an apples to apples comparison, not some limited production SVO model. Probably even the retro Camaro will presumably have a base V-6 engine in it-
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

What does he mean they know how to stay on top? The Mustang ( regular GT ) has only been on top since the demise of the f-body. And the few bad years in the 80's.
                1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

The only reason the Mustang GT is on top is because it apeals more to the average youngster , it being almost 10k less than the average z28 and has about 50-60hp less..thats why ya see them all over the place, personaly I'm sick of them and think that most mustangs bark is worse than there bite, i havent raced a non-supercharged stang than could take me yet..proud to be a Z28 owner all the way..
                  95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    I like how they compare the new Camaro to the Shelby GT500. I highly doubt GM will even build a Camaro model to compete with that GT500. Seriously, how many GT500s is Ford building?

This is the same thing Ford has always done. Build a few high dollar high horsepower Mustangs and compare them to the garden variety mass produced Z28, then calim victory. Sorry, Ford, it does not work that way.

:

They have stated they will build upwards of 30,000 GT500's...8,000 to 10,000 per year. So, it's not going to be limited in production. Fact of the matter is, after a year or so, anyone will be able to order one at the $42,000 price, as the dealer markup will evaporate.

GM needs to be very careful when pricing the Camaro. Charge $30 - $35K for a 400hp bloated pig, and Ford wins hands down. However, charge $40K for a Camaro SS with an LS7 (even if it has to be detuned to keep Corvette -babies happy)...GM wins.

A very fine line...
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

"Shelby confided that while his health is good following both a heart transplant and a kidney transplant, he is now blind in one eye"

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. What will they ever do without him??? Man, they will need a new hasbeen pretty soon to tell them how to build a fast car when Carrrol is demised. I have to give him credit, he was a hell of a guy in his day and got his name on a lot of neat cars that he had a hand in, but I'm glad my car is just called a TransAm instead of being named after somebody that can't run, can't piss, and can't see..

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                        "Shelby confided that while his health is good following both a heart transplant and a kidney transplant, he is now blind in one eye"

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. What will they ever do without him??? Man, they will need a new hasbeen pretty soon to tell them how to build a fast car when Carrrol is demised. I have to give him credit, he was a hell of a guy in his day and got his name on a lot of neat cars that he had a hand in, but I'm glad my car is just called a TransAm instead of being named after somebody that can't run, can't piss, and can't see..
                        That's pretty cold.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ

I got so tired of seeing the Cobra R get compared to Z28s or SSs. Comparing it to a GMMG car would be more appropriate.

The fact is, the only way Ford can claim more power is to compare a limited production model super Mustang to a high volume mass produced Camaro.
                          If you look at some of the previous threads and previous interviews, Lutz has already confirmed that if Ford brings out the GT500, and with the Challenger SRT8 coming out as well, the Camaro will have a trim package to compete with it. The most likely possibility is, as Motor Trend put it, a Z06 with a Camaro body. Granted, its not quite that simple, I know, but Chevy will have something there...and it will probably be the best in the pack .

Okay, I got that one backwards- should have done my homework. Still, when Ford brought out the T-bird, it already had the V-8. Chevrolet's first Corvettes were truck 6-cylinder engines.
                          The T-bird was also a bit heavier than the Vettes of 53 and 54, thus making it a closer match.

Even though they are less than HALF the cost of the GT40.
                          Ford hasn't produced a GT40 since the 60's. The new models cannot be called the GT40 since that would be a misnomer...and GT44 just doesn't sound right. Hence the reason they are called the Ford GT.
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            Ford hasn't produced a GT40 since the 60's. The new models cannot be called the GT40 since that would be a misnomer...and GT44 just doesn't sound right. Hence the reason they are called the Ford GT.
                            It can't be called the GT40 because someone else owned the rights to that name. That is why they called it the GT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                              It can't be called the GT40 because someone else owned the rights to that name. That is why they called it the GT.
                              I heard that guy wanted some rediculous amount of money for Ford to have the rights to use the name, and he wouldn't budge on it. So now they aren't using it and hes not making a dime off of it
                              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X