QUIETER exhaust opinions needed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUIETER exhaust opinions needed...

well im very pleased so far with my how my setup is performing this year however id like to tone down the exhaust on my z somewhat... its really loud, i guess lol. The neighbors are having hissy fits when i start it up late... i have edelbrock headers with a 3" offroad pipe no cat and flowmaster 40 series muffler... any suggestions on a quieter muffler that wont affect performance TOO much?

I've been looking a lot recently and doing some reading. You can checkout ls1sounds.com. There are a lot of clips over there. It's a little difficult to get an idea on how loud they are since the recordings vary in quality.

From what I gather. The SLP dual-dual setup is very quiet but flows good. Magnaflow is a good choice and isn't much louder than stock until WOT. Borla makes a good exhaust with an adjustable cutout built in. Corsa has a nice tone, but is pretty pricey.

Performance wise, the 40 Series flowmaster is probably one of the worst flowing mufflers due to it's chambered design. It does sound nice though.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

put a cat on it, that should help a bit
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I have a Borla system on my TA and it sounds awsome. It's loud enough to let some one know you mean buisness at higher RPM's, but just cruising around it reasonably quiet.
        1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

I also have borla with not cats and AS&M mids with wide open plate. It's aliitle loud on cold start but idles nice when warm and nasty loud at WOT. With borla you can put smaller plates in to quiet it down.
          I LOVE COBRA'S -
          THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

You don't need new exhaust, you need new neighbors!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              You don't need new exhaust, you need new neighbors!

Awsome!!!
              1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by HottestZ28
                I also have borla with not cats and AS&M mids with wide open plate. It's aliitle loud on cold start but idles nice when warm and nasty loud at WOT. With borla you can put smaller plates in to quiet it down.
                I also have the Borla and have been running it with the wide open plate for the last 5 years but I have just ordered the QTP electric cutout valve made for the Borla so I can shut it for long highway cruizin......I must be gettin old.
                95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

I've been running the Borla + QTEC setup for over a year now. If money is no concern, it's a great setup. Ever since the headers and Carsound cat, it got really loud when wide open...so I keep the plate closed when driving around town (and it is much quieter), and open it up if some moron decides he wants to cut me off
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I have the SLP 2OTL which is original to my 96 SS and even with longtube headers and dual 3" cats it's actually pretty quiet at idle, low speeds and cruising. But open the throttle and it makes some noise! I think the SLP 2OTL will outflow almost all cat-backs short of the Loudmouth.
                    69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
                    70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
                    2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

thanks for the info i think ill look into the borla or slp... i really just dont want to spend like 200 bucks for a muffler.

Comment

The hype over Flowmaster's being a poor performing muffler is absolute bull. The Super 40 and 40 Series flow right up there with the best of them and sound really good doing it. I've seen many flow test comparisons.

It's amazing the crap that can get started on the internet.

I personally like the Spintech mufflers. They sound awesome and flow very well.

Comment

Ahh, someone beat me to it. I have a Spintech after having a Flowmaster (just the replacement muffler). The flowmaster was a lil louder than spintech, power output was about the same (might be more with spintech).

Anyway, the spintech sounds great (lil quieter at idle, just like flowmaster when cruising but without the drone, and it just screams at WOT). The muffler itself cost me about $110 installed.

Comment

Pick up a dual/dual, it is a good solution and used ones are common. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge finding at least a muffler/tail/tip section for ~$200.

Every now and then a full catback pops up as a SS take-off. But shipping kills it due to the intermediate pipe length. Look local, check web boards.

Comment

Working...
                            X