STS Turbo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS Turbo

Anyone here have, or know someone who has, and STS Turbo system on their LS1. I have seen some pretty amazing videos of F bodies with the system and I was wondering if was a good investment?
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

My friend has one on her car. It was putting down 465/508 until she popped the motor. It was nonintercooled and is the 67mm turbo. Now she's installing a 402 stroker, intercooler and ported heads. We'll see what it does when she's done.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Thats not very comforting I've got enough money for the turbo sytem, but not enough $$$ for another LS1.

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

ive never had a personal experience with a turboed f-body, but from reading around over the last year or so, ive read the STS is a top choice for our cars. However forced induction, while awesome, isnt forgiving on a motor. I've read that the ls1 can safely handle 6 pounds of boost, i dunno how true or untrue that is. And if your dropping that kinda money on a turbo, id find it kind of a waste to only be pushing 6 pounds, and still being creating more wear on my car. If i was in your ponsition, personally, i would do a engine rebuild, and go in there a forge everything. I mean really make the car bullet proof. Then start saving for the turbo again. It will safe you time, money, and a HUGE headache. Plus will grant you some good peace of mind.
        Thats just me tho. Im pretty sure the veterans on the site will chime, and really give you a good run down on what and what not to do.
        1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
          Thats not very comforting I've got enough money for the turbo sytem, but not enough $$$ for another LS1.
          She wasn't monitoring the motor. She had a mail order tune. Her boost controller wasn't hooked up correctly.

If you take the time to do it right, monitor the engine and tune it accordingly, you'll probably get years of trouble free use from a turbocharged engine. It's like anything, you abuse it, and it won't last long.

Comment

The STS setups are very good quality and the kits include everything you need.

Do a search over on www.ls1tech.com in the Forced Induction section for STS turbo. You will find all kinds of info on the STS systems.

Comment

Awsome fellas! Thanks for the info, I will look into it further before I spend the money.

Comment

If you buy a turbocharger kit, do yourself a favor and make sure you buy one with an intercooler. If you don't, you're just wasting your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                  If you buy a turbocharger kit, do yourself a favor and make sure you buy one with an intercooler. If you don't, you're just wasting your money.

I thought the STS turbo kit didn't need an intercooler because of the turbo being mounted in the rear, the air would be cooled on the way back to the intake. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding from what I saw and read.

Comment

I thought the STS turbo kit didn't need an intercooler because of the turbo being mounted in the rear, the air would be cooled on the way back to the intake. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding from what I saw and read.
                    It's just a good idea. Compressed air is compressed air. You will still get a bunch more inlet heat than if you were to run an intercooler. Since the FMIC is only about 800-$900 more, it really is worth it to release the true potential of the turbo and to run more safely on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      It's just a good idea. Compressed air is compressed air. You will still get a bunch more inlet heat than if you were to run an intercooler. Since the FMIC is only about 800-$900 more, it really is worth it to release the true potential of the turbo and to run more safely on the street.
                      If you guys think it a good idea, then it's probably a good idea. Everything I read just gave me the impression that a FMIC would be useless. It's only $800 more, what the heck.

Comment

That was their claim to fame when they first started making the kits. Then they realized, that compressed air gets hot really fast and that the return tubes don't have that much cooling affect. So, now they sell most of their kits with intercoolers. hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                          That was their claim to fame when they first started making the kits. Then they realized, that compressed air gets hot really fast and that the return tubes don't have that much cooling affect. So, now they sell most of their kits with intercoolers. hee hee
                          Good deal! Learn something new here everyday!

Comment

Working...
                          X