Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please don't laugh, but don't know this part!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't laugh, but don't know this part!

O.K., bear with me here, please! My husband just got done replacing the rear brakes tonight, and while he had the wheel off, we were doing a little inspecting of everything. I (nor him) don't know what this is for, but there is a block of what looks to be rubber with two screws holding it in place on the lower end of the fender well, and would be above the spring (hope I described this well enough with no dumb looks!) Anywho, it is badly worn and barely hanging on. It actually crumbles when touched. What is this? Need to be replaced immediately? Am I just nuts?
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Sounds like "Jounce Bumpers". They're there to prevent your tires from hitting the inner wheel well when going over bumps, so you will want to replace the broken one.

Comment

Yes, they are called jounce bumpers, and Jeff is right they stop the axle housing from trveling up to far under extreme suspension load and allowing the tire to possible contact the inner wheel well and lock up the tire.

GM Part# 10164173 1993-1997

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys!! Any idea what they run cost wise? They'll get fixed anyways, it's amazing what kind of things you find that need replacing when you go diggin'!
        1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

List price is $29 bucks....or $17 from gmpartsdirect.com
          LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Working...
          X