Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Chain question with LT4 Hotcam

Hey All,

I'm getting ready to install the LT4 Hot Cam kit, and I was wondering if I should replace my stock LT1 timing chain??

The stock chain only has 25,XXX miles on it, so is it necessary to replace that?

I just figured I probably don't need a heavy duty chain since the hot cam is more of a mild cam.... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and one other question... is the OEM LT1 timing chain different than the OEM LT4 timing chain?

Thanks!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

With the increased spring pressures and the the slightly larger lift, you will see increased cam shaft torsional load on the timing set.

It is a good idea to upgrade the timing set. You have a bunch of options. There is the GM Extreme Duty Set, conventional double rollers(you must use an electric WP), aftermarket single chain sets with iron/steel or billet sprockets, and then you have the high dollar sets like the Comp Cams High energy and High Tech sets.

I like the Lunati set for the LT1. It installs with perfect tension and it is relatively inexpensive(170-$180). Lunati Part# 93094

Make sure you compare the opti dowel pin on the LT4 camshaft to your stock camshaft. They need to be very close to the exact length.

Comment

Ummm, I've done some reading of the Lunati units failing prematurely. I would avoid it...just my 0.02
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I'm confused about the Lunati as well. I saw some pics a while back where a guy had bought a set and it had a plain old GM cam gear with standard GM casting numbers. Maybe something has changed...
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Interesting about the Lunati failing and having GM part numbers cast into the sprockets. I put one in for a guy and it clearly did not have any GM markings.

That was last summer and his timing set is still going strong. I know several guys around here in the SA area using Lunati timing sets on various motors with no apparent problems.

Sounds like the guy with the GM sprockets was confused or maybe got the wrong parts? Who knows? I've seen so many misleading posts about car stuff on the internet, I don't put much faith in what anybody says anymore unless I know they have a solid reputation.

Comment

Working...
          X