LT-1 vs LS-1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT-1 vs LS-1

I'm looking at 2 z28's right now. A 94 with 76K on it and a 98 with 88K. Both are six speeds. Which one is better? I know the LS-1 is lighter but which is more dependable? Any thoughts?
    00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

What are the prices of both?
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I think you're basically safe with either. They each have their own problems, but nothing that would keep me away from buying either. LS1's are infamous for having piston knock and leaking oil. LT1's are infamous for their crappy distributor (Optispark) and they have their own oil leaking problems. My LT1 Trans Am is approaching 92k miles and this thing seems to be unstoppable. No signs of slowing down whatsoever. Steve93Z's Camaro is well into the 100k mile range and I'm sure he'll tell you the same. If you take care of your F-body, your F-body will take care of you.

There are a ton of differences between the two. Stock, an LS1 will smoke an LT1 in a 1/4 mile run. Also consider that LS1's are usually more expensive than LT1's. If you assume a $2,000 difference in price between the two, you'd be able to port or swap the heads and still afford headers before you equal the cost of the LS1. In this case, you'll be smoking the LS1's. However, LSX's motors (LS1,2,4,6,7,etc) are known performers. They have a seemingly cultish following. They're known to be capable of amazing things, like running 10's on a cam only motor, running 12's with bolt ons, all sorts of stuff. I'm sure most people will recommend the LS1. If you're not into swapping heads and camshafts want to add go fast goodies, take the LS1. They're newer and have tons of upgrades over the LT1. Sorry if this just makes everything more confusing.

If I had it all again, I think I would have waited for an LS1. The prices on those things are plummeting. You can find a used LS1 Camaro with less than 100k miles on it for $6,500- $7,500 if you wait for the right deal. Check out the classified section onls1tech.com. Don't jump on the first car you find. That's a common mistake. I made that mistake myself. Do some research and wait for a good deal. Sometimes deals will fall into your lap, but not often. Be patient.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

The 94 is $4,100 and the 98 is $8,995. I really like the front end better on the 94, the headlights and the foglights, over the seemingly "bubblely" front end of the 98. However I like the LS-1 over the Lt-1. So on looks and wallet the 94 wins. But I can't get away from the LS-1 performance!
        00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

Comment

well since the ls1 is more than $4,000 more than the lt1, i think you should get the 94 and put $4,000 into it, then the ls1 would be nowhere near as good as the lt1. plus the lt1 has less miles on it too
          1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

Drive them both. See how they run. Find out the service of each. I love my LT1 and, so far, I've lost 1 of 3 runs against LS1s and all I have are some minor bolt-ons. Personally, I love the look of the LT1 vs. the LS1 Camaro...has a more aggressive look, esp. in black . If you have the money for either, then drive them both, do some research on them and see which one you find to be better for you. If the 98 would be stretching your budget a little, then I'd either haggle with the owner or go with the LT1 (assuming there's nothing wrong with it). Just my 0.02.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

In the upper RPM band the LS1 will just pull and pull. You'll notice the low end torque more in the LT1.

At night the headlights on the LS1 cars are much better. I was always looking for a way to make my '96 Z28 lights brighter.

If I were you, I'd put more time in seeing which is in better condition. If properly cared for both engines will run a LONG time. They're nowhere near the end of life...or even middle age for that matter.

If you get the '94 than have the water pump checked. They seem to fail before 100k. If it goes, it could spill coolent all over the optispark. That's a recipe for disaster.

Some LS1's seem to knock and burn oil. Not all of them do that. Mine seems to be just fine on those points.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                In the upper RPM band the LS1 will just pull and pull. You'll notice the low end torque more in the LT1.
                That's what I've always heard, which is why I was really suprised to be neck-and-neck with an LS1 into the triple digits. Then again, some people think I've got a freak on my hands. lol

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                At night the headlights on the LS1 cars are much better. I was always looking for a way to make my '96 Z28 lights brighter.
                There is a way, just not as easy as it is on the LS1s. 94blackbullet, if you go with the LT1 and you want the headlights brighter, hit up TraceZ, AmericanZ28 or myself. Or just do a search. You'll find the procedure and which bulbs to get.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned exhaust tone yet. When it comes to sound, LT1 > LS1
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I think you need to put a little more though into your budget. I mean comparing two cars where one is twice as expensive as the other is a little off base.

If you can afford a 98 up, then I think it is a clear winner. You're then dealing with a car that is roughly 4 years newer, and 4 years is a long time when it comes to nickel and dime things. Bushings, mounts, seals, wear items... 4 years is a long time. I went from a 93 Formula to a '00 Z28 and the LS1 is so much stronger it is not even funny. I don't really understand where the LT1 torque thing comes from, because the LS1 just pulls like a sumbitch.

Maybe in M6 cars LS1's free revving nature is mistaken for less torque at a clutch drop... I dunno.

If you are buying for speed it is a much better jumping off point.

If the 94 is in good shape, and that is the true mileage, that seems like it could be a pretty good deal.

98's are a dime a dozen in the 8-10k price range. Shop around.

Comment

Allow me to quote one of Fred's old post's that contained data that he pulled straight from a Corvette LS1 fuel injection service manual.

Looking at the torque curves, up to 2,000rpm the LS1 and LT1 are virtually identical. The L98 is only the width of the printed line lower than the other two engines.

At 2,000rpm the LT1 and L98 cross, and the L98 continues to climb while the LT1 torque curve actually lays over and starts to decrease slightly, until it levels out at 2,800rpm. At the same time, the LS1 curve is continuing to climb, and showing a greater torque than either the L98 or LT1. I would estimate the curve shows the LS1 is making about 25-30lb-ft more than the LT1 from 2,500-3,000rpm.

At 3,200rpm, the L98 lays over and torque drops rapidly. By 4,000rpm is is back down to maybe 220 lb-ft. The LS1 continues to maintain its significant torque edge over the LT1 all the way to redline. I'd say from 4,500 to 5,000rpm the LS1 is up by about 40 lb-ft.

L98: 340 lb-ft @ 3,200rpm
                      LT1: 330 lb-ft @ 4,000rpm
                      LS1: 350 lb-ft @ 4,400rpm
                      I can verify this information by the hundreds of dyno graph's I have seen on both LT1's and LS1's. The LT1 having more torque down low than an LS1 is complete urban legend.

Pick whichever car makes you happy!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

I can verify this information by the hundreds of dyno graph's I have seen on both LT1's and LS1's. The LT1 having more torque down low than an LS1 is complete urban legend.

Second.

---
                        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                          I don't think anyone mentioned exhaust tone yet. When it comes to sound, LT1 > LS1
                          If you're comparing stock motors, I completely agree.

If you've ever heard an LS1 above 6700 RPMs... I think you'd change your tune... unless you're just too stubborn to admit it
                          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                            If you're comparing stock motors, I completely agree.

If you've ever heard an LS1 above 6700 RPMs... I think you'd change your tune... unless you're just too stubborn to admit it
                            I haven't heard one yet. I'm sure it must scream like a banshee.
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                            X