Car Is Overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Is Overheating

Took the Iroc out to my friends house last night took the highway, relativley cool night did the speed limit, get there and the temp gauge only read 115 but then once parked engine temp jumps starts to smoke and a loose almost all my coolent because it sprays out the front left side of the rad. Next morning I go to come home, refill my empty coolent resavoir up and take it home not even on the highway for 10 minutes and temp gauge is way beyond red, engine smokes up like crazy, get it home and its just frying but of the coolent I put in even went trough, what do I do here, what needs to be fixed?
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Took cap of rad and theres no coolent, filled it up with water and it all just leaks out of holes I have descovered in the rad, as well as a jelly like substance wich I assume is some over the counter rad sealer, iam now priceing out new rads, any suggestions?
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Lappin
      Took cap of rad and theres no coolent, filled it up with water and it all just leaks out of holes I have descovered in the rad, as well as a jelly like substance wich I assume is some over the counter rad sealer, iam now priceing out new rads, any suggestions?
      Do NOT buy the rads with the plastic end tanks. There are ones available that have steel tanks. They last way longer.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

aluminum radiator ... works great in trans ams and camaros.
        1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

if ur on a budget, i would recomend modine(sp?) u can get it from the local napa store. boss has one in all of his cars(all like 30 of em picture norm, cept wit more muscle then performance) i got one in my bird. works fine for me.
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Lappin
            Took the Iroc out to my friends house last night took the highway, relativley cool night did the speed limit, get there and the temp gauge only read 115 but then once parked engine temp jumps starts to smoke and a loose almost all my coolent because it sprays out the front left side of the rad. Next morning I go to come home, refill my empty coolent resavoir up and take it home not even on the highway for 10 minutes and temp gauge is way beyond red, engine smokes up like crazy, get it home and its just frying but of the coolent I put in even went trough, what do I do here, what needs to be fixed?
            If the water losse while running, possibly leak at head gaskets or check on theromostat rusty...
            Same thing I did on my 91 Camaro, I put new thermostat 165* and gasket. It works well...
            Good Lcuk
            Cool!!! ..Keep it simple
            Working on put LS2 Carburator w/T-56 without PCM on '01 Camaro, was original V-6.
            G D Luck me???

Comment

Working...
            X