Driveshaft question ... V6 vs V8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft question ... V6 vs V8

For all early 4th gen camaros/firebirds (93-97) does anybody know if the V6 models have the SAME steel driveshaft as the V8 models???

I have a steel driveshaft from my ride, and a guy who has a V6 firebird is wondering if it will fit. I have no clue...

Anybody know?
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

V6 driveshafts are two-piece I believe. Whether or not a V8 one-piece can be a direct replacement without further modifications, I do not know.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Later V6s may have the one piece driveshaft, but you can swap a one piece from a V8 into the 2 piece driveshaft cars without a problem. You will have to remove the intermediate bearing for the 2 piece.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
        Later V6s may have the one piece driveshaft, but you can swap a one piece from a V8 into the 2 piece driveshaft cars without a problem. You will have to remove the intermediate bearing for the 2 piece.
        Great, thanks!
        370 RWHP / 352 TQ
        CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

I have a 94 camaro ... and from what I understood in the manual .. the use the same driveshaft ... however ... thats total garbage. when i headed on over to chevy to see how much a wonderful new part would be ... it was about 900 for the v8 but 975 for v6. same part .. no way .... i'd probably look into a couple of online sites where they make dirveshafts specifically for your car. you can get an excellent custom made one for 300-400 (same price as goin to a junk yard) The beauty of these ones .. is that they can handle higher rpms smoother. Make sure you've also checked out the universal joint ... sometimes the driveshaft is fine ... but that flimsy joint is the problem .. those are relatively inexpensive..
          1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy
            I have a 94 camaro ... and from what I understood in the manual .. the use the same driveshaft ... however ... thats total garbage. when i headed on over to chevy to see how much a wonderful new part would be ... it was about 900 for the v8 but 975 for v6. same part .. no way .... i'd probably look into a couple of online sites where they make dirveshafts specifically for your car. you can get an excellent custom made one for 300-400 (same price as goin to a junk yard) The beauty of these ones .. is that they can handle higher rpms smoother. Make sure you've also checked out the universal joint ... sometimes the driveshaft is fine ... but that flimsy joint is the problem .. those are relatively inexpensive..
            Ok, something don't sound right here... you can buy a brand new LS1 driveshaft for like 200 bucks ( or right around there )....

So where do you get 900 from??????????
            370 RWHP / 352 TQ

Comment

I bought a used LS1 (aluminum) driveshaft from http://www.tennesseeauto.com/ for $100.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Agree... I don't even think the dealer would attempt to rip you off for US$900 (or even Can$) for a new driveshaft. Not when you can go and get a Denny's "nitrous ready" or a Spohn HD for less than 1/2 of that. Shoebox shows the 1LE aluminum shaft as $220, and that's typically the gmpartsdirect.com online price. Even allowing for any recent price increases and their ridiculous shipping costs it would be well under $300 for a genuine GM part.

I thought.... many years ago.... when this came up there was a comment made that the damper ring on the V8 DS's caused some sort of interference when you put a V8 DS into a V6 car. Or maybe my memory is fading too fast.....
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Perhaps the $900 is parts plus labor.
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                  2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I doubt even Mr. Greedwrench could charge $600 for 10 minutes work
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      I doubt even Mr. Greedwrench could charge $600 for 10 minutes work
                      hahaha, greedwrench....i didn't catch it at first
                      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                        hahaha, greedwrench....i didn't catch it at first
                        And don't forget his trusted assistant, Ben Dover.
                        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by shadyphi
                          For all early 4th gen camaros/firebirds (93-97) does anybody know if the V6 models have the SAME steel driveshaft as the V8 models???

I have a steel driveshaft from my ride, and a guy who has a V6 firebird is wondering if it will fit. I have no clue...

Anybody know?
                          Yep. lose the intermediate bearing and the LT-1 driveshaft is a direct swap. The only downside is that you get a little more driveline vibration that you can feel in the shifter, but that's it.

Comment

I kid you not my friends ... bay ridge chevrolet up here in bayside/douglastin new york. thats wjhy i suggested havin a custom made one done from a web site for $300. That was specific for my 94 camaro. I ended up buyin the $300 custom made one from the web ... installed it ... and its awesome.
                            1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

Working...
                            X