6th to 1st ouch!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th to 1st ouch!!

So I was cruising to work this morning at 4:30 with no one else on the road but me so I decided to get on it a little bit just because. I had a cup in my cup holder which kinda puts my arm at a funny angle for shifting. Anyway to make a long story short, I threw my car back into fisrt at about 75mph. I thought that it wasn't suppose to be able to do that. It went in the hole very easy with no grinding or anything. Is this common? (not down shifting into first at 75 but going in easy)
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Hopefully you didn't let the clutch out..... that would be about 9,000rpm. LS1 pushrods do not like high RPM.

There's really nothing to stop you from putting it into 1st gear... maybe a tiny bit of extra effort for the synchros. I've been know to make the 2->1 shift at redline (~80mph) in 2nd gear.... that's why I switched to the TH400.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I let the clutch out briefley, then pushed it right back in and put it in nuetral. I checked it out when I got to work and the engine didn't seem to be making any noise. Hopefully I didn't break anything.

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

There's supposed to be a lockout of 1st gear over 12mph. With enough force or over time I think it can get worn down. I've been able to shift into first at around 15mph.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

It's the same type of lockout they use for reverse on this transmission. Otherwise, it could be easy enough to go from 4th to reverse.

Not sure why it went into first so smoothly. It should have at least put up a fight.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'm not aware of a lockout for anything other than reverse. Can someone show me where it is? http://shbox.com/1/t56_service_manual.pdf
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

It went in super smooth, Like it was going into 3rd. Thats why I let the clutch out. I have down shifted on purpose at about 30mph before with out a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                I'm not aware of a lockout for anything other than reverse. Can someone show me where it is? http://shbox.com/1/t56_service_manual.pdf
                It's in the owner's manual.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

What my Owner's Manual says is that "you can shift into '1' when you are going less than 20mph (30kph)." That doesn't mean there is a physical "lockout".... it means for people without a bit of mechanical knowledge they probably shouldn't attempt shifting into 1st at any higher speed. I drove my 94 for 6 years with the factory M6, and never found resistance to shifting into first at ANY speed. There is also no device attached to the tranny to block 1st gear, and there are no control wires from the PCM with a lockout signal, nor any electrical connections on the tranny for a lockout signal.

I've examined both 94, 97 and 98 T56's and never found such a device, and there is no such device described in the T56 shop manual.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    What my Owner's Manual says is that "you can shift into '1' when you are going less than 20mph (30kph)." That doesn't mean there is a physical "lockout".... it means for people without a bit of mechanical knowledge they probably shouldn't attempt shifting into 1st at any higher speed. I drove my 94 for 6 years with the factory M6, and never found resistance to shifting into first at ANY speed. There is also no device attached to the tranny to block 1st gear, and there are no control wires from the PCM with a lockout signal, nor any electrical connections on the tranny for a lockout signal.

I've examined both 94, 97 and 98 T56's and never found such a device, and there is no such device described in the T56 shop manual.

This would explain the lack of difficulty putting it in the hole.

Comment

Interesting. I've heard there was a lockout, but I guess I've never tested it.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        I went back and couldn't find it. I could've sworn I've seen it someplace.

On my car there seems to be resistance in shifting to 1st unless I'm going 15mph or less. If I push harder it'll go, but once I slow down it will shift into 1st like any other gear.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

The speed differential between the blocker ring/synchronizer and 1st gear itself should make it more difficult to shift into 1st at higher speeds, unless the blocker ring engagement surface is worn out.

Other than that, like others said, there isn't any type of mechanical lockout for 1st.

Comment

Working...
                          X