Black turn signal lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black turn signal lights

Has anyone seen these on a car before? I thought since my car was black these would go well and still have the functional lights behind the clear lense. It appears that the inside housing is black giving it a black appearance. The clear lense in the front might look bad though. Just a thought before I put on my new bumper cover.

Black turn signals
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

SOmething suggests to me that they are clears just niteshaded and marked up, but I would just get a can of niteshades and do it yourself, like I did. Im happy with the results.
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Hey!

I was looking to get those same ones off Ebay. Im just wondering how legal they are.

That nightshades product looks pretty good..I am strongly considering it.
      Has anyone else heard of/used it before?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I also am considering the nightshades spray stuff. Are the lights noticable in daily driving or should I just leave these turn signals alone?
        1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I didn't see a DOT # on the lenses. So I would guess not legal
          I LOVE COBRA'S -
          THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Would altering my existing yellow lights not make them street legal? By altering I mean applying about 2-3 coats of nightshades. Wouldn't nightshades just let the light pass through normally (yellowish)?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
              Would altering my existing yellow lights not make them street legal? By altering I mean applying about 2-3 coats of nightshades. Wouldn't nightshades just let the light pass through normally (yellowish)?
              it depends on who is inspecting it? any altering other then DOT labeled products will be illegal
              I LOVE COBRA'S -
              THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

My personal preference is to give priority to safety over appearance. Any dimming at all of the turn signals reduces visibility, possibly increasing the chance of an accident.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

safety>appearance

I dont even put my tailshades on even more because im afraid I'll get rear-ended. Im fine with the stock lights anyway, I had seen a black camaro with black turnsignals and it looked awesome! Maybe for the car shows though!

Comment

Another option would be either blackouts for the turn signals, or clear turn signals. I think the clear ones look pretty good on my car, but the grill might have helped them out too.
                    95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

After going over it (saftey and such) and thinking (dont really like the stock yellow) I have been considering the clear ones. I don't think they will look as ricey on my white car.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

where did you get your clear ones? i think those are sweet as hell..ive been looking for em but havnt found anything that would fit.

Originally posted by AJ52486
                        Another option would be either blackouts for the turn signals, or clear turn signals. I think the clear ones look pretty good on my car, but the grill might have helped them out too.
                        -Jeff

Comment

I got mine from Summit Racing. Even though it says that it doesn't come with bulbs, mine did, and they are shown in the picture too. If you think about getting these, you may want to call to see for sure.

Comment

It says those are for off-road use...so I assume not street legal? Has anyone on this board ever had issues with the law and front bumper lights? The police in my area are somewhat level headed and not jagoffs so probably wouldnt care about it as long as it flashed.

UPDATE: I know it varies from state to state but this is what PA's traffic laws says about this all

(g) Positioning and Condition of Lamps
                            Lamps shall be properly fastened; direct light properly, to be a color not contrary to tables II-IV and not be so obstructed by a screen, bar, auxillary equipment or a device as to obscure, change the color of or obstruct the beam

I was unable to find tables II-IV

LAST UPDATE:

I found this on a jeep fourn: (http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1397)

Technically the only way to be sure is to read the PA statutes on lighting, which after taking a quick look aren't that easy to navigate (very common). This is what I found in PA:

TABLE IV—LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
                            ALL PASSENGER CARS AND MOTORCYCLES, AND MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES, TRUCKS,
                            TRAILERS AND BUSES OF LESS THAN 80 INCHES OVERALL WIDTH

Turn signal lamps.

At or near the front—1 amber on
                            each side of the vertical centerline,
                            at the same height, and as far apart
                            as practicable.

On the rear—1 red or amber on each
                            side of the vertical centerline, at the
                            same height, and as far apart as
                            practicable.

What the statutes don't comment on is to be amber does the cover have to be amber or can just the end result be amber. If I was a betting man I'd say a judge would have a hard time justifying a ticket if the end result was the same regardless of which item was yellow, the bulb or the cover. You do want to make sure the signal is as bright as the previous one as it looks like that is a requirement in your state.

I know we all put saftey above cosmetology of our cars, but I really want to change these lights

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I haven't had a problem with the cops, and I don't have a front plate either. I can't compare the brightness of the clear signals to the stock ones because mine were broken from the wreck when I bought the car. I can tell you that the light coming out of the signal is definately amber. They are also bright enough that visibility should not be an issue, as I can see the reflection off of the ground when I signal.

Comment

Working...
                              X