Doin my brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doin my brakes

Doin a brake pad change. Just lookin for any tips or tricks and any heads ups. Thanks guys.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

The brakes are silly easy. BUT! If you've never done the brakes before, you need a special tool for the front brakes. It's like a huge allen key. Ran me like 2 bucks at advance. You're gonna need that.

Rear brakes are even easier.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

well i have allen wrenches, will these work?
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Discs are easy. If you have the hex-key for the caliper mount bolts, a C-clamp for the caliper piston and a jack, you're set. I did all 4 calipers by myself in just under 2 1/2 hrs. Hope this helps.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
          well i have allen wrenches, will these work?
          I had a lot too, but it's not enough. You'll need the tool. It's pretty big. It's like an allen inside a socket.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            I had a lot too, but it's not enough. You'll need the tool. It's pretty big. It's like an allen inside a socket.
            No you don't. A standard hex-key will work fine. The hex-key-socket isn't a necessity.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

It's a 3/8" allen. You can use either a 3/8" allen key or a 3/8" allen socket.

Either one works fine.

Comment

Thanks, fellas
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Great, so i take off my lug nut covers and discover that one of them is completely rounded off, and its a different lug nut then the others. It doesn't even look like it should be a lug nut...either way, how would you guys get it off?
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                    No you don't. A standard hex-key will work fine. The hex-key-socket isn't a necessity.
                    Right, what I was saying is that it's pretty big and he probably won't have a hex key to fit in a standard kit. I had 3 allen sets and not one had one that big.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                      Great, so i take off my lug nut covers and discover that one of them is completely rounded off, and its a different lug nut then the others. It doesn't even look like it should be a lug nut...either way, how would you guys get it off?
                      Take a 12 point socket.... One that fits really tight. Hammer it onto the lug, put the ratchet on, and it should come off pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        Take a 12 point socket.... One that fits really tight. Hammer it onto the lug, put the ratchet on, and it should come off pretty easy.
                        tried it couldn't get it to bite....but then as i was looking in my trunk i found a lug nut key, and there just happened to be enough grip to get the damn thing off....but get this now i can't find my damn c-clamp aaahhhh why me!!!!

any suggestions on closng the piston without a c-clamp?

edit: nevermind i ended up going out to buy a new one. This is one of those days i really hate cars
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Its a very easy job if your rotors are not rust welded to the hub/bearing like my two fronts were ended up having to by two new hubs, after wasting the better part of 2 days trying to get the rotors off.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                          2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Working...
                          X