Best flowing headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best flowing headers

I was talking to this guy ate raceway park and he said that his slp headers were a huge mistake. So ruling out those what are the best flowing headers fot a 2000 Trans AM, and along with that a fitting Y pipe.
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Just my .02 but you should probably ask other people how they like their slp headers. I have had slp longtubes with high-flow cats on my 2001 ls1 and they are awesome in my opinion. They sound great and also definetely opened up my exhaust nice. Don't rule out other good brands such as Mac, FLP, and Edelbrock. Those are some quick ones off the top of my head. I am sure other members will chime in as well.
    slp longtube headers, slp y-pipe, high-flow cats, superchips programmer, slp 85mm air sensor, slp loudmouth exhaust, ws6 hood, slp cai, kn air filter, slp high-flow lid, smooth bellows, tb bypass, subframes, lca's, panhard bar, torque arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
      I was talking to this guy ate raceway park and he said that his slp headers were a huge mistake. So ruling out those what are the best flowing headers fot a 2000 Trans AM, and along with that a fitting Y pipe.
      That guy may have had shortie headers, most people perfer longtubes or midlength's if you have a visual inspection.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

he said he had slp longtubes i belive and it wasnt the preformance he didnt like it was the clearence that he said was horrible, he said he smashed them up, and especially because i wanto get a F 1.6 / R 1.4 Lowering sprngs it wont have good clearence. But maybe there is a difference between the camaro's and the trans am's with clearence? And does hooker make a header for a 98-02 F-body?
        [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

im pretty sure all long tubes have some clearance issues, so it's not just the SLPs

hooker does make both long and short tube headers.

lowering and long tubes are going to cause clearance issues so you need to rethink about one or the other

Comment

Hey i c that you have hooker, can u show me the place ware u ordered them from.. im trying to look for them but it doesnt list a price or anyting.

Comment

My 2001 formula is stock height, and as long as I drive easy over inclines and speed bumps then there is no problem. If your car is lowered definetely do not consider getting long tube headers of any kind they will hit everything on a lowered car.
              slp longtube headers, slp y-pipe, high-flow cats, superchips programmer, slp 85mm air sensor, slp loudmouth exhaust, ws6 hood, slp cai, kn air filter, slp high-flow lid, smooth bellows, tb bypass, subframes, lca's, panhard bar, torque arm.

Comment

There are a bunch of different headers made for the LS1. Hooker, QTP, Kooks, Pacesetter, Dynatech, Flowtech, JBA, Jet Hot, LG Motorsports, and many more.

Personally I would go for the stainless Kooks, Pacesetter's, or the QTP's. Great quality headers that tend to make more HP than most other headers.

Comment

It's not the headers that cause problems. The header collector doesn't hang low enough to really be that much of an issue. Now with worn shocks or a low front.... maybe. It's the Y pipes that tend to cause the biggest headaches. Either they bang on the floorboard or scrape on speedbumps. It appears as though a custom made Y pipe from a good exhaust shop has a better chance of correct fit than a mass produced one.

Life is full of compromises. My .02 is that a good set of mid lengths or shorties with a high flowing Y pipe is plent suffecient in anything but a max effort type of car. You'll always get people that will say that long tubes are the only way, and in some cases that is true. For the street, on a lowered car with no money top be won at the track or illegal races, then it's tough to beat good mids or shorties considering no clearance issues.

Comment

Here are the Pacesetter's on a stock height LS1 F-Body. As you can header clearance is fine. It is how well the shop fabbing your custom y-pipe tucks it up against the car that really ends up making the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X