O2 sensor questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 sensor questions

since the o2 sensors on the 98' and up f-bodys are before the cats, if I took off mycats would I have to get o2 simulators? or would my comuter be fine?

If you have a V8 I know you have 4 O2 sensors. 2 before and 2 after the cats......2 on each bank........You would have to buy O2 simulators from a performance dealer, like Summit, to trick the computer into thinking the back two O2 sensors are in place. The front two will be uneffected. However I did this on my 97 with the LT1 and the EGR code is comin up in the computer. I dont know bout 98.

Comment

OBD2 cars (96 and up) have front and rear (after CAT) O2's. The rear O2 sensors measure the effiency of the catalytic convertors. If you get rid of the catalyst (which there is no reason to do unless you pushing real big power) it will trip a trouble code for converter efficiency and turn the SES light on. The computer will not notice a substantial difference between the inlet and outlet ratios according to the O2's. If you decide to get rid of the CATS (if its a race car or something) you can have the rear O2's "fixed" in the PCM programming.

If this is a street car car and your not pushing some serious power (over 500HP), I would keep the CATS on. It's not like the 1980's when the CATS sucked your power away. The factory CATS flow pretty good.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
      X