thought i would share this with yall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought i would share this with yall

this went on our private website today. but for those that may not know what "takes place" during this situation..i figured id share it with yall........after all...we all are car nuts! hahahahaha

A look into a “demon”: Tire Tread Separation

The year 2000 and 2001 fostered many a news story about “tread separations” of tires and SUV’s flipping over, people being severely injured or killed.

The truth is, tread separations are not nearly as common as you would think after hearing all these “stories”, and they are not always that dangerous either.

A “true” tread separation is when the tread delaminates from the belt package of the tire, causing the tread to “peel” off the tire. This can also occur in just sections of the tread surface as well. In this condition, the tire normally does not suffer sudden air loss (blow out). The air pressure will remain in the tire for quite some time; long after the vehicle is pulled over and stopped. The biggest danger in the “tread peel”, is that it can wrap itself around the axle or a steering component causing immediate loss of control.

Most of the time, the real culprit in tread separations is the belt package of the tire. Rarely does the tread separate just from “faulty” lamination to the tire. Passenger car tires are designed to deflect an average of 15 percent. The more the tire deflects, the more the belts in the belt package begin to try to “shear”. There are usually two or more belts in the belt package. These belts are primarily steel. When the tire flexes, if these belts start working against each other, you have “shearing”. If a tire is under inflated or overloaded, it will flex more, causing the shearing action to take place. This shearing action generates heat. If this heat continues to increase because of the energy coming in thru the deflection, it eventually leads to tire failure. That failure may be a tread separation, but most of the time, the belts separate from each other, causing the tire to “come apart” (blow out).

Check your inflation pressures regularly, and do visual inspections. Look for bulges on the crown edge (where the sidewall meets the tread surface). A bulge could indicate that the belt edge is beginning to separate. Look for strange premature wear patterns on the outside edge of the tread surface. This could indicate that that part of the tread is starting to “lift up” from the belt package and is wearing more rapidly. Also keep in mind; a misaligned front end will cause premature wear on the outside of the front tires tread as well.

The number one friend of the Tread Separation demon: ”Under inflation.” The second best friend is “Overloading”. Combine either of these, or both, with higher vehicle speeds and hotter ambient temperatures and the situation worsens.

Ken Collings
    Tire Program Coordinatior
    GSA Fleet Operations Division
    (703) xxx-xxxx
    Kenneth.collings@gsa.gov

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Hay thanks for the info wolfman...

Thanks wolfman,
    I didn't know that even radial tires can loose their treads like that...

Well, I learned something new today...

Later...
    Thanks
    MaraSport

Comment

Working...
    X