Rearend Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearend Question

I currently have a V6 1993 Firebird with rear drum brakes and as far as I know 3.23 gears (RPO GU5)...Im thinking about swapping over to a rear disc set up hopefully by the end of the year. Is there anything I should steer away from or anything to look for?
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Look for a 97 rear from a Z28 or TransAm automatic with the performance rear gear option. That ratio is 3.23 which will keep your speedo accurate, just swap the whole rear and you'll have the posi too! Anything else will be a different gear ratio. You'll also need to swap the rear parking brake cables over to the Z28/TA parts in order to keep the parking brake operational.

The main reason I say 97 is because earlier years had slightly larger center hubs which make things a PITA when swapping to 17" Factory wheels. You'll have to take a dremel and enlarge the wheel center hole just a bit when installing them on earlier year rears. The factory change I thought was for 97. Since I didn't have to alter my wheels for either 97 rear but did for previous years, I am pretty sure that was the year for the change.

Comment

Ok thanks for the heads up...yeah Ive already found out about the wheels, I had to enlarge the holes on my current wheels (factory '98 5 spokes) in order to mount them on my car.
      LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Ok I may have found a rearend...provided the guy gets off his butt and names a reasonable price...I do have another question or two...if I do swap rearends, will the ABS work correctly? what about a perportioning valve--do I need one? or will the abs system know how much pressure to apply? my car doesnt have traction control, will that pose any problems? Any other potential problems or gremlins to look for?

Comment

Verify that your stock rear end has the ABS sensor in the top of the differential housing. If that's where it is, the replacement should work. Be sure you get the housing out of a 97 (or other year) that did NOT have traction control. If the car had traction control, the ABS sensors will not be in the same location and will not work with your system.

I would try the swap without a proportioning valve. I don't know how a proportioning valve would interface with the ABS system.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I was told that there isn't a proportining valve and that the ABS takes care of it.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks Injuneer and Jeff...that bit of info is a big help and relief as well.

Comment

Working...
              X