Lack of bass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of bass

So recently I installed some new speakers into my car because my rear ones stopped working aka i blew them out. I had the bose package in my car so I had the sub and the 4 speakers and the suckers put out some good base for what they were. I now have a new head unit from JVC and some decent speakers from pioneer and still have the sub but for some reason the bass just isn't there at all. I can't imagine that these pioneer speakers would be lesser quality than factory speakers. I know bose is known for pretty good quality but whats the deal?

Is it that the new speakers arent getting enough power? Do I need an amp?

Here is my deck
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cVuS7xs...00&I=257KDG420

Here are the speakers
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cVuS7xs...0&I=130TSA1681

Let me know any input you might have

Oh and for those of you that saw that my car got hit, Insurance is doing full coverage minus the deductable without increasing my rates since this is the first claim made in 6 years

I have a friend who has the same complaint about the Pioneer speakers in her 99 GT.

In any case, you've gotta remember the Bose speakers were on their own amplifiers, but I don't believe you can make aftermarket speakers work with the Bose amps. You may need to look into an aftermarket amp and sub if you want some good base, or go back to the Bose speakers. Also, your Bose unit had an EQ built-in, didn't it? If so, that can make a difference too, as the JVC unit you installed doesn't have one. Did you use the adapter harness on the deck?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

How did you hook this up? Did you take out the Bose amps and wire the speakers directly to the amp OR did you just replace the speakers and hook the radio up to the line level outputs or use one of those line level adapters?
      http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vpbFytq...sp?i=142C4GM02
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The problem is that your Bose system works with a different ohm impedance than the Pioneers. Bose stuff is 2 ohms, or 1 ohms, or sometimes even 1/2 ohm speakers, and the amps are set up for that ohm load. So, when you put your Pioneer speakers in, power was decreased.

You know how you bridge an amp and power increases? 4 ohm mono and the amp doubles it's watts? It works the same way in reverse. Since most Bose is one amp per speaker, every amp is "bridged". The amp is designed to say put out 20 watts per speaker at a 2 ohm load. You put a 4 ohm speaker in it's place, and wattage just dropped to 10 watts. If it was originally 1 ohm and you put in a 4 ohm, wattage just dropped to 5 watts. Less watts, less sound.

So what do you need to do? Take all the Bose stuff out and chunk it. Replace it all with aftermarket equipment. Aftermarket is better stuff anyway, costs SIGNIFICANTLY less money, and will increase sound quality. No highs, no lows, it must be Bose.

Disclaimer: This is all redneck and laymans terms, as we all know that bridging and ohm loads are varying terms, no amp runs at 100% efficiency, bridging doesn't really double wattage, and differences in ohm loads don't quite work on a linear scale as is depicted. I am just trying to make this as easy to understand as possible. All information is correct, just without all the masters degrees in engineering and electrical theory to back it up. Just a guy with 16 years of car audio experience.
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

While eliminating the Bose equipment from use isn't a bad idea (I'm using all aftermarket stuff as well), I wouldn't junk everything. The Bose speaker brackets are necessary to mount the speakers in the doors and very helpful for mounting them in the side panels. Just my thoughts.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
            The problem is that your Bose system works with a different ohm impedance than the Pioneers. Bose stuff is 2 ohms, or 1 ohms, or sometimes even 1/2 ohm speakers, and the amps are set up for that ohm load. So, when you put your Pioneer speakers in, power was decreased.
            I measured one of my Bose front door speakers. It was around 3.2 ohms.

darkz711, the thing is no one can answer your question until they know if you are using the bose amps on the speakers or not.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Impedance varies with frequency, so not always the same as DC resistance.

Comment

i unhooked the speakers, i didn't take anything off the speakers, just unscrewed the 4 screws and put the new speakers in. I dont think i'm using the same amps form the speakers

as far as the deck... i had it installed by circuit city because i had a gift card to cc and installation was free so i had them do it. I bought the wire harness that they said was required for installation but i dont know what i actually have in there

Comment

Originally posted by darkz711
                  i unhooked the speakers, i didn't take anything off the speakers, just unscrewed the 4 screws and put the new speakers in. I dont think i'm using the same amps form the speakers

as far as the deck... i had it installed by circuit city because i had a gift card to cc and installation was free so i had them do it. I bought the wire harness that they said was required for installation but i dont know what i actually have in there
                  Then it sounds like you are using the Bose amps. In that case you can not just add an amp. You could remove the Bose amps and ad an amp but in any case the way to fix it right is a re-wire and get rid of the Bose amps. They are not going to be very loud with aftermarket speakers becuase of the different ohm ratings. You could take the Bose amps out and take the wiring harness adapter out that I showed above and use the speaker outputs from the stereo. They will probably sound batter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    Then it sounds like you are using the Bose amps. In that case you can not just add an amp. You could remove the Bose amps and ad an amp but in any case the way to fix it right is a re-wire and get rid of the Bose amps. They are not going to be very loud with aftermarket speakers becuase of the different ohm ratings. You could take the Bose amps out and take the wiring harness adapter out that I showed above and use the speaker outputs from the stereo. They will probably sound batter.

so if i take out the amplifiers and the wire harness and got an amp, i'd have my bass back? What would happen to the sub?

Comment

Originally posted by darkz711
                      so if i take out the amplifiers and the wire harness and got an amp, i'd have my bass back? What would happen to the sub?
                      There are several things you can do. There are a bunch of options and I don't know where to start. It depends on how much you want to spend and how far you want to go. Are you going to do the wiring? If not you might want to talk to an installer.

The sub is driven from the rear channel amps. (The crossover is in the rear channel amp.) If you disconnect the amp the sub will not work.

If you are going to keep those speakers you are going to have to remove the Bose amps. If you do that it is going to be hard to keep the sub working.

The best method would be to get a seperate sub amp along with a seperate 4 channel amp for the mains. Then you have to figure where to put the amps. It's really going to snowball.

Something that might be of interest. http://www.subthump.com/acamarorack2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                        Something that might be of interest. http://www.subthump.com/acamarorack2.htm

Amazing. I was looking for something like that for my setup. Thanks Jeff
                        Steve

Comment

I kind of did the same thing. I replaced my head unit and when i did my speakers they sounded bad so i (temporarily until i got a 4channel) went to where the wires go into the sub in the back-looked at what colors each wire was at the back of the head unit and bypassed( cut where they come in and out of the amp/speaker box and just spliced them together) the amp all except the power and ground so my speakers all worked off of the head unit but the sub was still powered
                          Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

Sorry I can't resist posting this, but.......

.....lack of bass? Do what others are suggesting and get a sub! I mean a real one.

www.subthump.com is a good place to start as they have several enclosures to choose from. Or, a 10" or 8" bazooka can help restore the bass that's missing if money's a problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X