AC Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Problem

My AC has quit blowing out of the vents. Will blow on your feet but in this TX heat it's not enough.

Someone had mentioned it might be the computer any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

She's Red and she's Rare.

~Black Beauty ~ Last 97 & LT1 Hawk

If I understand your question correctly, the air coming out of the system is cold, its just not coming out of the correct vents.

That has nothing to do with a computer. The flapper valves that direct the air to the upper and lower vents, and mix cold and hot air, are powered by engine vacuum. When the air doesn't come out of the right vents, its usually a problem with the vacuum connection from the engine to the HVAC system. I don't know the details of the later year 4th Gens, but the mid 90's system involevs a vacuum line to a check valve, a line that then tees to a vacuum reservoir in the right front fender, and to the interior where it powers the control flappers. Generally, its a broken vacuum line of a faulty check valve - both fairly minor items.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Shoebox strikes again. See if this helps.http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#HVAC_vacuum
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Hi guys,

Just got through fixin' my 97 with a very similar problem. When going up an incline, the air would move from the top vents to the floor. Look on your front emissions sticker. There is a diagram for vacuum routing. You'll see a line coming off the intake going over to the right side of the engine compartment by the AC condenser. There it connects to the bottom of a check valve with two outputs on top. One goes to the AC head inside the car, and the other to a vacuum tank up front under the right side fender. It looked like on mine that some battery acid or something leaked down, and rotted the plastic pipe going to the tank. Line runs right in front of the battery and down. I cut the bad part out and replaced with a rubber line. But I still had the problem. Finally found that my check valve was bad and not holding. Take it off and suck air through the bottom. Should be able to suck air but not blow through. $6 part from the local dealer and its all working great. Check Shoebox, you will find all the part numbers you need. Hope this helps.

Billy

Comment

ok, What is Shoebox?

Thanks for all of the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            If I understand your question correctly, the air coming out of the system is cold, its just not coming out of the correct vents.

That has nothing to do with a computer. The flapper valves that direct the air to the upper and lower vents, and mix cold and hot air, are powered by engine vacuum. When the air doesn't come out of the right vents, its usually a problem with the vacuum connection from the engine to the HVAC system. I don't know the details of the later year 4th Gens, but the mid 90's system involevs a vacuum line to a check valve, a line that then tees to a vacuum reservoir in the right front fender, and to the interior where it powers the control flappers. Generally, its a broken vacuum line of a faulty check valve - both fairly minor items.
            You got it and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Y2KHAWK
              ok, What is Shoebox?

Thanks for all of the tips.
              Not a what, but a who.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                Not a what, but a who.
                Actually it's several:

Shoebox- A box for shoes, a full sized car typically from the 50s with a monster engine built for the drags, lastly a guy on this site with tons of tech photos and guides on his site.

Comment

Hahahaha...geee....ya'll make my day today...

Let me add...shoebox, the guy I have met in this forum mainly.......a very fine, kind gentleman, who shares his experiences, knowledge thru a excellent job, that include, pictures, diagrams in a web page.....even an e mail address where he's kind enough to reply with accuracy or oriented directions in order to solve an asked task......always free of charge in spite of his great and reliable job, whom deserves a right fee, modestly suggested in a tiny PayPal icon nobody sees (including me with a shame feeling, I must add), a guy with a fine sense of humor and few words....Do I leave more good things about this fine gentleman in the air?.....please add them here...
                  Serve this sincere words to honor and to appreciate him...
                  Take care
                  Dochidalgo
                  97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Working...
                  X