aftermarket firebird headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket firebird headlights

Does anybody here have aftermarket headlight bulbs on their firebird. Specifically from the 98-02 firebird models. I wanted to switch my headlight bulbs out because they just seem very dim. The battery is in great shape, and no the the lights are not burned out. I wanted to put a pair of bright blue lights in the car. I talked to the dealership around the corner of my house, and my service advisor told me not to do it. He mentioned that he has had people come in with their firebird headlight wiring to the bulbs burned out. He said that it was because of the aftermarket headlight bulbs that they had switched out to instead of the bulbs from the factory. So if anybody has done this to their firebird please chime in and help me out. If you have done this and it worked out fine please let me know. Also I would like to hear what specific brands and colors were used in the swap out process.
    slp longtube headers, slp y-pipe, high-flow cats, superchips programmer, slp 85mm air sensor, slp loudmouth exhaust, ws6 hood, slp cai, kn air filter, slp high-flow lid, smooth bellows, tb bypass, subframes, lca's, panhard bar, torque arm.

stick with a sylvania product

my headlights on a 94 (only one in each pop up door) were originally standard sylvania, which was really yellow and not very bright.
    I went to the auto store and they had my same model number sealed beam lights in standard, cool blue, and silverstar. cool blue was a few bucks more, and silverstar was about 20 bucks each. I bought the silverstars and all I had to do was plug them in to the sockets. They look excellent and light up the road way better. They are not as blue as the coolblue ones, but they illuminate with an extremely clean light.

I dont know if the '99s are still sealed beam or if they are right angle sockets like the taillights. My dad's '02 gmc sierra has silverstars in both high and low beams, and they are not sealed beams. you get the same result and color. the highbeams will light up very far away as well.

I think the lights that will fry your wires are HID's. These are a joke, dont go for them, they have a totally different power draw than your standard headlights. There are also a lot of fakes out there because their main target group is the import tuners and ricers.

also, make sure the contacts are free of corrosion on your sockets before installing the new lights, they will light considerably brighter.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply. I can't belive me and you were the only ones to try and switch out the stock bulbs. Mine suck, and I definetely am not going to get cheap ones. I will check with the local auto store and go from there. Thanks again!
      slp longtube headers, slp y-pipe, high-flow cats, superchips programmer, slp 85mm air sensor, slp loudmouth exhaust, ws6 hood, slp cai, kn air filter, slp high-flow lid, smooth bellows, tb bypass, subframes, lca's, panhard bar, torque arm.

Comment

dont forget the details !

I have a lot better luck with my lighting projects when I use the electrical grease for the sockets. It keeps the moisture off the contacts and makes the assembly process go a lot better as well ! No more rusty sockets .

Comment

Working...
        X