Exhaust Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions on a new exhaust system for a 94 T/A. It already has performance headers and after market exhaust but the exhaust was done wrong and either needs to be cut and rewelded or replaced. The exhaust comes from the headers in 2 pipes but then goes into one cat and then splits back into a dual. I'm not exactly the authority on exhaust systems but I'm thinking I'm losing some horses on it. I was thinking of doing a straight back exhaust and using two catalytic converters. Anybody know of a good place to get this or something like it for under or around 500$?
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Iceslim0

It is normal for the exhaust to combine together into a single 3" pipe after the headers. From there it should go up over the axle and split back into duals at the muffler. This is the way many paople do it, and there is nothing "wrong" with it.

Getting two pipes up over the axle on a f-body is not easy. Modification to the rear suspension is almost always required. The panhard rod gets in the way.

There is very little in the terms of a performance increase to be seen over a single 3" pipe anyhow. The 3" pipe has plenty of flow for up to around 700 hp.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I noticed that was a popular system to have just 1 cat but my mechanic just told me I should look into getting new exhaust because there was something wrong with it. He said he could cut it and reweld something or I could just keep it and loose some performance. This probably sounds like something a mechanic would say to get you to buy something but he is a personal friend and I've been doing business with him for a long time. He's doing most of the work on my T/A and this was just one of his suggestions for a quick HP boost. If I did do a straight back with 2 cats would I get better sound and performance either way?

Comment

Can you get under the car and snap some pictures to post?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I will when I get it back. My mechanic still has it. I bought it from a guy and took it to my mom's mechanic before I bought it and he said the car looks perfect. A week after I got it, I took it to my mechanic and he found 2 AC leaks, an oil leak, some wires that were laying right on the headers and getting the crap burned out of them, a rear brake problem, the weird exhaust, a loose muffler, and a prob with the ignition coils. So 700$ later it should be in better condition. It was fast as heck when I had it so I'm hoping it will tear it up even more after I get this stuff fixed. But yeah when I get it back I will get a picture.

Comment

It sounds like a pretty standard exhaust arrangement for a 94, but the pics will tell the whole story.

Seems like you have aftermarket headers combined with a standard catback of some sort. Once you post up what you have we'll go from there.

Chances are if you like the sound the $500 would be better spent on other mods.

Comment

like what?

Comment

3.73's for a auto
                or
                4.11 if you have a m6
                might run a bit more than $500 bills tho...
                1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Right now it has a tuned pcm and an STB. it has bilstein shocks and hotchkis swaybars. It has a cold air intake and aftermarket headers that I believe are ceramic.

Comment

Working...
                  X