700R4 Shift Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4 Shift Kit

My car is changeing gears very unsmoothly, it was never the smoothest shifting car before but now its getting worse and I was wondering where the best place to buy a shift kit was and if anybody has any positive experiances with installing one in there car, thanks alot!
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Hi,

A shift kit won't correct a harsh shifting transmission. If your issue is the transmissino shifting too hard (banging into gear) then this is probably due to it slipping to some extent or another.

Is the car slow going into gear from part to drive?

These behaviors could be a number of things but the only easy solution that might work is a simple fluid and filter change. If the fluid is low, the filter is plugged, or the filter is not seated properly, these can all cause sporadic and harsh shifting.

Comment

The shift into first and second gear are almost flawless and complelty smooth, but third and fourth are very harsh, fourth being the worst

Comment

Do you notice high RPM's before it kicks into 3rd or 4th and do you hear a slight knock noise when it happens?
        .° Esôtérîc °.
        TransAM Nutz

Comment

High RPM's, yes, knock noise, no

Comment

If the RPM's go higher than they should (car should shift at roughly the same RPM as it does 1-2) and it seems as if the trans is slipping (allowing higher rpms) then slamming into gear... well a shift kit won't correct that.

Like I said I think the only "cheap" things this might be are low fluid, or a clogged or partially seated filter. If it is truly your 3-4 bands going then there is no cheap fix.

The knocking would refer to your engine bouncing off a rev limiter, but your car is too old for that unless you have an aftermarket ignition system. The newer cars will hit a rev limiter if the trans slips and allows the engine to over-rev. Yours doesn't have that and you could in theory over rev the engine right up until it gives.

Obviously you don't want that so figure out the trans and don't drive into your redline.

Most likely it is slipping.

Comment

Working...
            X